Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 8 July 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful -- or at least a better -- week!

Scarlet Tanager 

Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore (Lake Michigan)
U.S. National Park Service
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free) 

• ANNETTE- Strangely, he is always much more relaxed when he stays here! I don't think they will come, I got a message a wee while ago saying that they don't want to intrude at what might be a difficult time for the family. They are like family to us so it wouldn't be a problem. We'll see. Sorry that things are not going so smoothly with the house. Will that delay your return home?

• Had a giant beefburger each, made of Scottish steak (!) with a baked potato, and a plate half full of freshly picked green beans......

My Friend G enjoyed a concert at The Bridgewater Hall in Manchester on Saturday, and hopes to go to another next weekend. In between, she has dentists, school concerts,  clinics, eye tests, and a haircut! We hope to meet at some point when she has a half empty day.

Good news from Thailand. I'm beginning to dare to hope that they can get them all out safely. Full marks to the international team who've made it possible.

I'm bushed, now. Been watering the garden and unpacking. Going to have a cool shower, and get to bed early.

• ANNETTE - sorry about delays - hope you get explanations for late deliveries!  Still struggling to get anyone to come and do the two repair jobs!

HEATHER - I hope the Danes will make their mind up soon!

LINDA - envying the fresh beans - are they French Beans being this early?  OH is watering the garden now - seems to leave it later every day - I complain that  never see him!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Evening all:  Well in spite of my misgivings, quite a bit got accomplished today - at one point we were almost tripping over workmen.  Daughter's new "comfort height" toilet was installed today - you'd think it was a throne she was so thrilled!   More bits due tomorrow. As it stands now, I hope to be heading home Saturday.....

We had a fabulus thunderstorm this evening aftere dinner with almost nonstop thunder and lots and lots of lightning, heavy rain and wild winds.  The wind seems to come up almost instantaneously.  We were going back and forth from the back patio to the front porch as the storm passed overhead in an effort to get the best view..

Heather:  Nice of the Danes to consider the family situation.  The male half should travel more if it makes that much difference.  :-)

Lindybird: Is G your friend who is unwell?  That's a busy schedule !

OG:  The explanation for one delay was that the item simply wasn't ordered early enough - it came with apologies and was the reason so much else got done today.   This is a fairly small city/town, but is growing by leaps and bounds with houses selling as fast as they can put them up.  All the suppliers/contractors are working long days in an attempt to keep up, so it's almost inevitable that something would slip through the cracks.  Most everything else has gone very smoothly.

Apparently the effort to rescue the remaining kids and coach in the cave is  now underway.....

• Good Morning, all.  A hot night here again.

Great that there's still progress there, Annette - send some of that thunderstorm over here! Yes, my Friend has always been a busy person, but ironically had just resigned her post as head of the local Parish Council, and is now only working in an advisory position as a Governor at the local school. She has worked in admin for all of her life, and is a great organiser. 

• OG - Yes, French beans. I think they're early this year, but of course we probably have things ready before you in the frozen north!  My OH says that three tomato plants have survived: I thought he meant that they'd all failed a couple of weeks ago. I only get down to the allotment occasionally, and pull a few weeds when there, but am not allowed to do much else!

• Good morning!  Sleeping deeply these slightly cooler nights - still not using the duvet!  Better working temp for J as he does another few hours digging.  OH haircut this morning - and I am hoping she can do something - anything! - with my fringe which has taken on a life of its own!

LINDA - picking first two ripe tomatoes today!  A perfect pair, growing right next to each other.  The first to ripen are on the plants which were put in latest - we bought them three at a time, about three weeks apart.

Must go - my computer chair now becomes the hairdresser chair!  BBL.

• Back again.  FB - pleased you are enjoying what I would call normal temps for time of year - but it's now starting to get humid!

Nicole did rearrange my fringe - much more comfortable and no risk of irritating my eyes. When she left, we found J taking a break on the deck, with a packet of crisps and enjoying watching birds - he's getting quite middle-aged!

Going to have lunch together a bit before  1 o'clock, to watch the RAF flypast up the Mall on TV - hope there isn't too much cloud over the Thames estuary.

• I was doing a different kind of bird watching this morning! I went into the dining room and a young starling hopped out from under the table. I wondered where on earth it had come from and then spotted soot all over the hearth and on the carpet. I opened both windows wide and watched from a vantage point near the door. It eventually found it's way out of the window and flew away. Since then I have discovered evidence (!) of occupation. The chimney is capped but I can only think that the bird, being small, must have managed to get underneath the cap. Between that and Elgin gulls snatching a sandwich from Mia's hand and pooing on the girls on several recent occasions plus screaming for most of the night, I might be less keen on birds than I was this time last week!

PS The first person here who tells me to get my chimney swept will be glowered at through cyberspace!