Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 1 July 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

I hope everyone has a wonderful (and cooler) week!

Collared Lizard, Arches National Park, UTAH USA
U.S. National Park Service/Casey Hodnett
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Glad they have decided what is wrong with your s.in.law, Heather. OG seems to think it's treatable, so that must be a relief. I don't know much about ulcers.

My Friend G is her usual self, chatting away and being practical. She has a few outings planned in the next two weeks, before she will probably feel pretty grim from treatment. We're all trying not to think about that. She told her daughter, who lives hundreds of miles away, not to cry or she would start, too.

• I survived another nanny duty! This time extended as Dau was off to a 6.30 pm meeting about raising children. S-i-l was to collect twins on way to pick up Little Miss Girl Guide. I said I would stay on as MissL was still napping. MissJ insisted on joining her father. So I was left to watch TV alone . . . for 5 mins. Then a sleepy weepy MissL appeared and we cuddled until others returned.

I forgot yesterday to mention that I posted pics of the lovely Childrens Garden within Albury Botanic gardens. Whimsical animals caught my eye.

• AQ: For some reason, I couldn't get that link to work...saw one album about Albury but just a few photos and nothing that looked whimsical. Of course, it could well be that since we're out in the boonies (wifi-wise) there were simply too many to load.  Will try when I'm back home (but you  may have to remind me!)

Lindybird: I feel very much for your friend's daughter - she is going to be worried sick.  I forget - is your friend married? widowed?  Does she have support nearby (apart from you)?

Went to July 4 celebration in the park behind the library. No fireworks, but lots of games and things for kiddies and a really great country/rock band with a brilliant female lead singer.  It was a local band (Five in the Wheel). Unfortunately, several of the concession food people backed out when the fireworks were cancelled leaving just one food booth. Oh well.  Not too much flag waving, although I did spot a toddler with a 'Make America Great Again" t-shirt.  Arghhhh....

I'm missing California very much at this point

• Good Morning.  I managed to see AQs great pictures -lovely. Also, a little further down I found a stained glass window with a swan and her babies, very pretty!

Annette - I suppose the 4th July seemed a little flat without the fireworks. Sorry, I forgot to wish all of our USA friends well on their special day.  My Friend has a very supportive husband, and a sister who lives many miles away. Her married daughter also lives far from here, on the south coast, so visiting is difficult. But the village where my Friend lives is a small close knit community where she has many friends, who are sure to rally round.

• I hope there's better news of Heathers son in law today, and that he's stabilised now he's getting hospital care.

I must dash now, lots to do as we're off again to our caravan today when my OH returns from his golf game!

• Annette – You should EITHER be in my Photostream, where you will need to scroll back/down . . . OR in my “Albury etc NSW” album, where you will need to scroll to end of 2nd page of pics.

Linda – Not a swan but a pelican. A medieval symbol representing sacrifice; the pelican was believed to piece her breast to feed her babies.

• Lindy: I hope you have a nice holiday in Wales. You're probably already gone, but in case you aren't, I'll tell you that the Norwegian Jade cruise ship is in Lerwick Harbor right now. You can see it on the Town Hall East cam, which has been repaired.

I hope your friend's treatment will be as easy as possible.

• I'm still here, Diane!  Looking for suitable pairs of shorts, and hoping for a sit down with a mug of something in a minute. Thanks for the link - others may need that - I have a permanent bookmark on the Lerwick cam, although perversely I hadn't checked it this morning.... We think we've seen the Norwegian Jade docked near us on a previous cruise, but lots of the Norwegian ships look very similar so I can't be sure.

Hope you're not too hot, there.

• Lurker Alert! Good morning everyone - not been posting but reading most days. Its been a tough few weeks for us as a family as it was the anniversary of my Daughters death last year and we have all been reliving those awful 2 weeks with her BUT we have to go on and I know that lots are suffering similar illnesses and losses. My 3 wonderful Grandchildren are been an absolute joy and comfort to me and to their parents.

I too am a committed member of The World Service Club and Radio 4 in general which is on most of the day and night. I set my timer for 90 minutes when I go to bed and switch on again when I wake up throughout the night, although I don't like the schools programme which is on about 3am so sometimes I switch to Radio 4 Extra.

Not a drop of rain here in my part of Suffolk my lawn looks awful as I treated it for weeds and moss just before the heatwave started and I have big black patches which I keep raking but so far no grass is growing back so I will have to give it a good seed. I just hope we don't have a hosepipe ban although I use very little on my tiny lawn and also capture all the water from the tap when I turn on hot tap on before it heats up. It all helps.

I hope all those with illness and trauma have some good news and recover well.

• Good morning!  Hope it is good for everyone and that those with problems receive some encouragement from friends and family.

Gardening yesterday afternoon and watering in the evening, so I spent much of the time sitting out on the deck – luckily a patch of cloud (no rain) for about half an hour in the afternoon.  OH has taken the car early this morning for the replacement rubber strip round the door; I have been making anniversary cards, and J is playing guitar – bass, I think.  He has joined a group holding folk sessions in Eastriggs – they are meeting on two Friday evenings this month; I am pleased he has found a music activity again.  I suspect gardening is on the agenda this afternoon – hopefully to sow follow-on salad leaves and maybe to begin clearing the ornamental grasses patch which is to be replaced (J is supposed to be helping with that!)

Harelady – good to hear from you; pleased the Grandchildren provide you with positive comfort at this time.  I think you have mentioned their ages are quite varied, so I guess there is always something going on!  Our lawn has also been struggling – for the same reason as yours!  The one at the back is much better as it gets some daytime shade, but the front is in full sun from dawn until mid-afternoon and is getting scorched.

Must now catch up with online news.  Have another good holiday, Linda, hopefully without any smelly mishaps this time!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!