LOCH GARTEN OSPREY GABFEST for June, July, Aug, Sept 2018

• Thankyou Paul for sharing another lovely photo! Another place for us to visit at  some point.

• 58willow said:
    S1, S2,and S3 we're the first osprey family Wed seen so they hold a special place in my heart! Has S2 been seen again.

Hi 58Willow

I can tell you Hans Gebuis photographed S2 yesterday at the dordtse biesbosch in The Netherlands. I have asked Hans if I can show you one of his pictures of S2 as I am not sure if you can look at his Facebook. I have told him your wee story.

S2 In The Netherlands photographed by Hans Gebuis - 3 September 2018. All credits to Hans

• Brilliant KEITH Thank you

Telyn is close to my heart for the same reason as I saw her and her siblings in 2013 on my first visit to Rutland

• Hello Patily - I think Thanks to Hans for sharing his sighting and photograph of S2. I asked to post it for 58 Willow who had only asked the day previously has S2 been seen again. She will be able to follow S1 and also knowing S2 likely spent the summer in NL and is safe and well. This was the first ospreys she saw so like yourself close to her. I believe there has been no sightings of S3 since leaving Manton.

Likewise you are able to follow 3J your from your first visit to Rutland and I think 1J is around. Don't think I have heard of 2J but nearly a Royal Flush for you and 58 Willow.

I have to go back to when my children were in single digit ages to think of my first osprey and now them children range 28 to 33 so some time ago. We lived in Callander at the time and we were picnicking in the Invertrossachs between Callander and Aberfoyle at a local loch. One huge bird overflew us and dived into the loch. At the time I described it to my children as a Golden Eagle. It was my first osprey sighting and been interested ever since. Don't know who he/she was where he/she lived or what became of him/her. That same area holds many nests and I still live a few miles from Callander and during the season can go out to Lake of Menteith to Loch Ard and back to Callander and see many ospreys - a good round short run out.

• Lovely memory KEITH and lucky you now Do you ever take pictures?

• Good evening all. Keith many thanks for sharing the lovely photo of S2 and thanks also go to Hans Gebuis for being kind to share this photo. Lucky to see! Quite something to have 2 returnees from one nest! Must have something to do with the good genes of Our lovely Maya and B33! He is a star in my opinion!

Does beg the question wether genes have anything to do with survival rates. I think there has been discussion before! Luck and good fortune play their part too. Look what happened to Caledonia and Breagh and very many others.

So pleased to hear S2 is doing well in Holland! Thankyou Keith!

• Evening, All.  Thanks for the lovely stories.

Keith, You are soooo lucky to live so close to several nests and to have been following Ospreys for such a long time.  Even when we finally have a nest at Poole Harbour (with luck that may be in a year or two but might be longer), we'll still have to drive for well over an hour to see Ospreys on a nest in person.

Patily, Like you, our first sight of UK Ospreys in person was seeing the family at Manton Bay in 2013.  Hence, 3J (Telyn) is also very special to us and so is her brother, 1J, who was around last year and he may have appeared this year--hope Keith is right about that.

Because of seeing the Manton Bay family in 2013 I take note whenever I hear about any Osprey from any Rutland nest anywhere and of course, many of them are related.  

Willow, I agree that it is fabulous that S1 and S2 are still alive and well.  We saw them at Rutland in 2015.  We've seen the Manton Bay birds each summer since 2013 and plan to carry on seeing them until we are too old to get around!

Fingers crossed that they all return next year and have successful nests.

• It was lovely to visit Dyfi too we saw Monty scoffing a fish on the perch and we waited for him to take it to his family after eating the head but he left a very small piece It is a lovely reserve. Great to see Monty enjoying some "me" time before he sets off! Love him and hope he has a safe journey as I do for all the others and specially the youngsters!

• Further to Keith's post above concerning Blue 1J(13)m, although he was seen and photographed in Cadiz in March this year, by Alison Copland, Gwash River have said they have not seen him this year.  He was seen fairly regularly in 2017 at Gwash River/Horn Mill and landed twice on the MB nest, but sadly no sightings of him back in the UK this year.

• Sheila, I'm a bit confused by your last post. I can only find a record of 1J being seen in Cadiz in March 2016, not this year. I thought that he had not been seen at all in 2018.

And is Ann Copland one of my long lost relatives...? I posted a photo of 1J in March this year, but the photo was taken in 2016 at Horn Mill Farm.

Please forgive me if I'm just in a fuddle!