Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 27 May 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a great week!

White-Tailed Deer
U.S. National Park Service/R. Cammauf
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• OG – Not mining, natural. Those rounded hills are the western slopes of the southern Flinders Ranges, just there probably too rocky, soil too thin, for trees. Prevailing winds from west, so rain would be heavier this side and erosion has caused the deep gullies. The morning light cast great shadows. As Annette said, this land is ancient, further north the Flinders Ranges are quite rocky & jagged.

• Continuing bus trip saga .Hammond, (-32.52, 138.31, no StreetView) once a thriving town, now has 10 residents (2 families, one living in former bank). Lovely old Catholic church closed, old stores & this lovely building derelict. Anglican & Methodist churches closed 1950s & demolished.

From Hammond, past Coonatto Station (a sheep farm, not railway), Moockra (gone) to Carrieton. Here the road runs along the Coonatto Creek, dry of course.

By the time we reached Carrieton, we were ½ hour behind schedule, hence just a quick drive around. With a full bus, it takes quite a time to load and unload at each stop. Also many travellers, or their family, were from the area and took time to view sights (and sites) that are “off the beaten track”, rather more difficult to visit. Carrieton (-32.425, 138.53), Orroroo (-32.734, 138.615) both with StreetView). Half hour drive to Orroroo for lunch. Here across farmland we see the Orroroo grain silos indicating the town ahead.

After lunch we headed for home, passing Pekina & Appila, which I had visited on a previous bus trip. A stop in Laura, home of the delicious Golden North honey icecream. I visited the Info Centre as I always do . . . and “You’ve been here before!” Er, yes I always call in to buy a local homemade chutney! Back on the bus, 3 hours to city, with our usual pit stop at Pt Wakefield. Back at WEA Centre 6.30 pm. Home to OH who had soup ready to serve. The End. PS Daily I post pics on flickr of this & Albury trip. Warning, mostly churches LOL.

• AQ: That's a lovely old building - were tin roofs the norm? (I'm thinking hot!!).  Good grief! Carrieton was formerly known as Yanyarrie Whim in the Hundred of Euralia - sounds like somewhere out of Lord of the Rings.  It's also home to the Carrieton Rodeo. That shot of Orroroo could be in our Central Coast area.

Lindybird: Good the traffic back home wasn't too bad.  Re your garden, I fully expect my Cecile Bruner to be a major obstacle on the path to our front door by the time I get home.  I cut some of the canes back quick a bit for fear they'd trap OH inside the house!

Busy day here getting daughter's bedroom and bathroom cleared out - it all went very smoothly, which surprised us all.  Some last minute stuff tomorrow morning early before the first contingent of contractors arrives. Oh joy...

• Good Morning from sunny Cheshire.  Can't quite believe this recent weather. Must go and feed the w. machine, it's ideal for drying stuff.

AQ - Love your pics, it's great to see the various types of countryside views. Those smooth mountains look exactly like the volcanic ones in The Canaries, where the wind and weather have smoothed them down. Love the thought of honey ice cream!

Annette - Glad it's going well - many hands make light work! - Hope things continue to flow!

• Not great here yet, but hopefully will brighten up by lunchtime.

• Good morning, ALL.

LINDY - pleased you had a reasonable journey home and found all well in the garden.

AQ - thanks for landscape explanation, and next lot of pictures.  The deserted towns and settlements seem so sad.  I would also buy chutney - and local cheese to have it with!  Honey ice cream sounds good - we sampled honey chocolate at the bee fest last week!

ANNETTE - Glad preparation work went well.  Good luck as contractors arrive!

We have some of the white cloud drifting over from the East this morning, but still bright, and expected to clear completely.  Hairdresser coming this morning, and then will have to stay indoors and clean the hairy bedroom!  Windows open, so everything is accompanied by Starling chorus - the young ones have been learning how to bathe in the water feature - have to keep topping it up as they splash everywhere.  Enjoyed directing more weeding and planting yesterday - afternoon and evening, with a break from the sun in between.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Enjoy having your hair done, OG!

The starlings certainly are a rowdy lot!  We don't get so many of their youngsters, but more than our fair share of house sparrows!

I've just come in from the garden, where I took camera shots of my flowers, but here are some taken on this tablet - not easy with the sun on the screen!

• The clematis on the house.....

And on the archway....

Where it's with a climbing rose planted by my mother...

• Super pics, AQ and LINDY, thank you. Nothing from me, I'm afraid. All I'm going to say is that AQ has my deepest admiration regarding nanny duty :-)))

• Thanks, Heather.  I take lots of pictures every year because it's the only way to still see them in the winter!

My admiration for AQ also knows no bounds - when we look after our grandchildren it takes two of us! -  you need eyes in the back of your head!!  ;-))