Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 27 May 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a great week!

White-Tailed Deer
U.S. National Park Service/R. Cammauf
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Hi, all. I chose that photo for a reason. I have a new deer friend. That's deer not dear. LOL I've had two lovely encounters with her this week. 

One night, I went out to my car to get a bottle of water. I felt someone watching me, and I shivered. I hurried back to the house and once I was behind the screen door, I looked closely. A doe deer was standing in my driveway. She stared right at me for quite a while, and then she put her nose into the air and sniffed for several moments before sauntering off into the woods. 

Two nights later, I went out to the enclosed porch to make some mocha coffee. (My microwave is on the porch...don't ask....) While the water was heating, I dashed outdoors to pull a few weeds. I again felt like someone was watching me, and I spun around. The deer had walked right up behind me and was only about 4 feet away. 

Once again, she was peering right into my eyes. I froze because (1) she startled the daylights out of me, and (2) I didn't want to scare her. After my heart settled down, I spoke softly to her, "You're a good deer. You're very pretty...." LOL! She walked right up to me! I resisted the urge to touch her. She wiggled her ears while I talked to her. (She has big ears.) 

Then I realized that she was probably there to eat the weeds under the porch window, so I slowly and quietly walked indoors. There's a strange variety of weed there that the deer absolutely love, so I always leave that patch for them to enjoy. As soon as I was inside, I could hear her chewing. 

I finally figured out who she is. When I saw her in the dark, I thought she was the old doe who's raised twins near my house for the last two years. But upon seeing her closely, I realized that she's a young deer. I'm pretty sure she's the female twin from last year. When she was a fawn, I sometimes talked softly to her from the window while she ate the deer-candy weeds.

So this year, when she stared and sniffed, she must have remembered me. I wonder if she's raising young herself, or whether she's helping her mother with offspring. Anyway, it looks like the magical deer will be sharing space with me this summer. LOL  

• Diane - What wonderful friends you have. I’m sure the wildlife grapevine knows you are a safe person.

Forecast said “Rain at times” with showers next few days. Some very light sprinkles as we emerged from church, but doesn’t look like it is staying. I am postponing Albury saga – last weekend is fresher in the mind!

Last weekend 40 travellers & 2 tutors set off 7.30 am on Saturday. First stop Pt Wakefield, then “The Tin Man”, a roadhouse near Pt Pirie for coffee/snack/toilet, continue as far as Stirling North near Port Augusta. There the lower Flinders Ranges that we shall pass through. Despite the clouds, there was no rain.

Approaching Pichi Richi Pass from the west. Of course there is a Stobie pole!

We drove though Pichi Richi Pass to Quorn. Trees in the dry creek bed.

Arriving Quorn soon after 1 pm, I wandered the streets, ate sandwich until time to catch the heritage train run by volunteers. Woo hoo, it was a steam engine. Our group had our own carriage. The train had left Port Augusta in the morning, 2 hour ride each way. Some people return in afternoon, others (as we did) travel one way. Quorn was busywith passengers roaming the streets.

• The train trip was a delight, slow, great scenery. Farmland from the train before the gorge.

How dry it is.

The railway line winds through Pichi Richi Pass, winding from side to side as per gradient. At every road crossing or bridge we would see cameras. Then the cars would race to next vantage point. You can see the road here. (Sorry about black train window frame.)

Sheep grazing on salt bush. Said to produce tastier & leaner meat.

to be continued

• Annette or anyone interested – You can “drive” through Pichi Richi Pass with Google StreetView. Take Yellow man along. Flinders Ranges Way (B83).

• Fabulous photos, AQ!!! I want to take that train trip. That train is a beauty!

• Diane – See here for more info & pics.

Our engine at Port Augusta. All that lovely pollution.

• OMG - I've only been here a few days and have already completely lost track of time.  Was so surprised to see so few posts and then realized it was a Whole New Week.  So thank you Diane.  Did you ever hear any more from those Bearded (??) Owls?   Oh, love it that you have a new friend - that's AMAZING that she came so close to you.  Maybe she was asking nicely that you not pull those weeds.   As AQ says, she must've got good references about you from your other woodland friends. :-))  

Lindybird:  Re youngsters, I'm not that sure that I have that many gears left!   Day "strippers" a new one on me.  :-))  I'm visualizing office workers who moonlight on weekends.

OG/Heather:  "California Lilac" is such a misnomer when you consider what "real" lilac smells like:  There's a ceanothus called "Dark Star" that I like; not sure if it's because of the color or the name.

Heather: Just Googled New Dawn. Looks like the blooms are larger than Cecile Brunner's but it's apparently very fragrant too.  When our bush is in full bloom, it's absolutely intoxicating!

AQ: Love those clouds - and that engine. It looks much more well behaved than the huge old one parked near the tracks in Minot, North Dakota.   I think you should book enough space for me and Diane next trip.   What kind of trees are those - if they're eucalyptus, they're fatter than the ones imported to California....  Oooh. Just saw that link to the Pichi Richi Railroad  Oz has such wonderfully quirky place names....   :-)

Have a good Sunday all.

• Yes, Annette, they're eucalypts. Don't expect me to know which!

• Good Morning. What a treat to come on and find Diane's dear deer, and great pics also from AQ's trip.

I look forward to more tales from Diane about her new friend. The only worry is that the deer may begin to trust humans too much: they won't all be as friendly as Diane, sadly.

AQ - I LOVE that engine! Can I come next time, too?! Thanks for your lovely pics of the countryside, too.

Annette - I forgot to say how much I liked the pics of your beautiful flowers.  I also thought that OGs household items were joining hands, and skipping off to the shops for a day off from the chores! LOL!!

We were expecting to be woken today by the bad storms predicted, but so far have only had a few light raindrops: Its not even very cloudy. Hoping to go out for a carvery Sunday lunch today.

• What weather they have been having down south. I just love thunder and lightning - so long as I am in a shelter.  For us it has been the usual over the last couple of days, but we did enjoy some great weather a few days ago.