Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 27 May 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a great week!

White-Tailed Deer
U.S. National Park Service/R. Cammauf
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• LINDA - I really like Hebes - was going to have a collection of Hebes in the front, but saw other things we liked which got planted crept in among them!  I think two of ours are dead enough that we shall have to take them out - not so much the frost of winter as the wind which funnels between our gable end and next door, from a northerly direction.

OH just cleaned moss and weeds out of two of the Alpine troughs on the low wall by the deck - I sat and gave directions.  They weren't done last year, so were rather a mess and there are some things he can't identify!  Two more to do next time.  We shall leave the plants in them this year as they are already starting to bloom, but will possible replant anew next year - or even this autumn.

I think tomorrow is a normal day, but we shall probably be tempted outside rather than stay inside for housework - if we aren't in here so much, it can't be really dirty - can it?!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Heather – A Stobie pole is an ugly powerline pole, prevalent in our state. They are the bane of my photos, always seeming to appear in front of the prettiest building.

Annette – What are Chutes & Ladders? A politically correct version of Snakes & Ladders, perhaps?

• Travel saga cont. Our bus met us and we had a short tour of Port Augusta before arriving at out motel about 5 pm. Dinner was at 6.30, both Indian & Aussie food. Spicy pumpkin soup & hot rolls. Then help-yourself at the bain marie. Choice of rogan josh, beef korma, chunks of roast chicken, battered fish, calamari rings, potato, cauliflower, rice, green salad and various Indian breads. Plenty to eat, we could all sample a little of everything. Followed by lemon tart & cream and a platter of fresh fruit slices (3 kinds of melon, kiwi, orange, pear, strawberries). Coffee. Our table not interested in the wedding, stayed chatting until we realised the staff were waiting to set tables for breakfast. Squawking corellas came to roost in trees beside motel, at least one or another was awake all night chit-chatting quietly!

Sunday, leisurely start 8.45 am. Slopes of Flinders Ranges as we drive towards Horrocks Pass. (Horrocks Pass Rd B56)

A ewe & lamb on Willochra Plain on the drive out to Bruce.

The road ahead as we near Bruce. This former town now has a closed railway station (no trains anyway), former hotel now private residence, a hall, 2 or 3 houses. Google StreetView did not visit Bruce or Hammond , coords for satellite view only. Bruce (-32.46, 138.2). A planned 3 min stop to look at rly station turned into 15 mins.

Next we drove back to civilisation, to Wilmington for morning coffee stop. Facilities thereafter few and far between. I captured 3 churches , including a glimpse inside Uniting as ladies preparing for service. Driving NE towards Hammond.

Why did the emu cross the road?

It didn’t cross the road but ran along with its mate, ahead of the bus for 5 mins, before one to left, other to right, they stepped over the fence into the paddock to join scores of other emus. *

* We must have seen hundreds of emus on the Willochra Plain, many grazing amongst the sheep. It was reported this week that emus have invaded the large country town of Peterborough. Council workers had to scare off 80 emus grazing on the school oval. Emus ate all the flowers left at the cemetery for Mother’s Day! Dry conditions have brought them south seeking food & water. To be continued

• AQ:  Snakes and Ladders underwent a change when it arrived in the US in the early 1940s (thank you Wikipedia) where it was received "negatively" by children.  Oh well.  What  I didn't know that it was an ancient Indian game before it made the jump to the UK. It does look awfully dry there.

I and Ms. D went for an almost 3-mile easy hike around Lynx Lake in Prescott Valley today. Wonderful weather with temps in the high 70s and a refreshing breeze.  Not too many people were at the lake, where you can rent paddle boats and kayaks, but it could be busier tomorrow on Memorial Day - or maybe not.  This area is under an extreme fire danger warning with no open fires allowed anywhere: no campfires, no BBQs (at least in parks, etc.), no using welders, saws, or anything that can cause a spark and no smoking outside a building or an enclosed vehicle.

Have a nice Monday all.

• Good Morning. Sun to greet us through the window today.

That's quite a hike for a youngster, Annette. Sounds beautiful. Thanks to AQ for the dramatic pics, off to study them now before my breakfast.

• AQ - mostly flat and then I was surprised by those strangely rounded/folded hills in the first picture - are they natural or the result of mining activity?  Great to see emus running!

ANNETTE - sounds a pleasant walk round the lake - sorry about the extreme fire risk there.  There were at least three serious fires in the Highlands of Scotland yesterday - one, on Skye, is still being attended this morning.  Bank holiday in parts of UK today, but not Scotland and J is working.  It's the day the pupils move up to next year classes after exams - expecting chaos!

LINDA - glad the storms stopped south of you again last night.  Still fine and hot here!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Weird, OG. Children are at school and supermarkets are advertising bank holiday opening hours! I think it is the Spring bank holiday but as usual, total confusion here!

Bella and Sam are off to Whin park to let off steam. I am going to chill.....

• OG> That topography is pretty similar to what we have in parts of California.  I heard somewhere at some point that OZ is the "oldest" continent in terms of not a lot of geologic movement, but have no idea if that has any baring on the shape of those hills.

Lindybird: Ms. D was happy to go farther, but we didn't have the time (thank heaven!)

• HEATHER   Yup, bank holidays confuse me too. Last holiday the community centre was closed and so the food bank where I help out was closed too. This bank holiday both were open. Unsurprisingly we had no takers. Indoors now after a bit of sunning ourselves in the garden. I know my limits.  

• We're home again after a pleasant afternoon sitting in the warmth, although the sun did disappear after a while, behind some sea mist which rolled in.

We had a quick corned beef sandwich after taking Bonnie for a last run on the beach, then threw everything in the cars and drove home in convoy. Traffic not too bad considering it had been a sunny Bank Holiday here. Our garden is growing madly - the poppies are out, the clematis are all blooming too, and my sweet peas have grown by a foot!