DAILY UPDATE ~ Loch Garten nest ~ Monday, 07 May 2018

EJ predictably has been dedicated to incubating her three eggs. Our wild card this year is a young male. I believe our opportunity is to watch him learning (or if he will learn) and to observe EJ's wisdom in these matters.  Thank you to Tiger for the reminder that cam watchers have experienced the same angst as we are currently with EJ. At the moment she is, also predictably, tucked in, dreaming of fish, or Africa, or maybe a good mate. © RSPB - Loch Garten and Carnyx Wild

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Dear girl, she's been chirping quite sweetly and just then had an outburst.

IMAGICAT

• Oh dear (how many more times will I commence a post with those words?!) ... he just flew in, landed, stood, and flew off again.

Editing in video.

Showing (for those who haven't got under a minute to watch the video, and you know who you are ;-D ) his looking here and there:

IMAGICAT

• EJ has been chirping in a different way - not calling, but pleading with a varied vocabulary.

IMAGICAT

• Well, MARY, I'm glad in a way that you're not here this disappointing morning... or are you, but dare not speak?

Our dear girl - finding anything other than the back of her head is not easy:

She's been tucking herself down into the nestcup, as if to comfort herself:

IMAGICAT

• I guess one thing we can be thankful for....and that is, that it is currently warmer...so less calories being used up for internal body warming. Less calories, less food needed.

• Good morning MC and Trying.  What else is there to say!?

• Good Morning SCYLLA, Trying (if you are still here) and to all who follow.

G. is a bit of a enigma, he arrives, fishless, he looks at EJ as if to say what are you making all that noise about.  

He had been bringing fish before so what has happened to stop him now.....  its all a bit of a mystery..... if he had found the lochan or RM, we know that hierarchy exists there, is he being chased away, then with weather conditions is he finding it hard to fish, I am glad that Tiger said that he thought it unlikely he had two nests, as you think if he is a young osprey as it is thought by the VC, would a young Osprey have two nests.   

Anyway we will never know what goes on in the Osprey world, not one single person knows for sure, and that is why speculation does not help all of us who care so much about EJ, if speculation is muted so often some begin to think it as fact..... which simply is wrong, as when it comes to Ospreys beyond the webcam view we simple do not know do we.    We will never find out what happened to Odin, and so many other questions we have asked over the years of what happened, it is our usual ups and downs of every season.    

EDIT: In my angst I am sorry to have forgot to thank CC for her opening post and starting us off.   

• Meanwhile the cuckoo is calling, EJ is looking all around, and she is quite at the moment. 

• The other question I keep asking myself.... is this GJ's first time back to Scotland....and so maybe finding himself a bit out of his depth as to what goes on when you migrate back?

Oh....And good morning to Scylla, Mike, and MaryGK........ and anyone else who has joined us on this glorious Bank Holiday Monday

• Good morning, MARY, am so pleased to see you :)

MaryGK said:
    He had been bringing fish before so what has happened to stop him now...

I have it firmly fixed in my mind that EJ suddenly stopped responding to his mating attempts and that's when he stopped bringing fish.  She has half-heartedly responded since but only occasionally, and anyway he's fewer and fewer attempts, hardly visiting the nest now.

I do hope he brings a fish soon - she needs nourishment to regain condition at this time, and, as pointed out by MOFFER, I think, she needs regular time out to preen thoroughly.

IMAGICAT