Osprey Chat thread for MAY 2018

Starting the May 2018 thread!
Here is the link for the Osprey Chat thread for APRIL 2018.

• So we got to the 1st May and it is only another three weeks to the end of the osprey egg laying season.

Of course Manton Bay got off to a real fast start and they are expecting their first hatch by 5th May. That should easily break the earliest egg hatch for the UK.

The wait for Glesni grew ever longer and it looks as if Glesni will not be coming home. Blue 3J the four year old from Manton Bay has become Monty's new mate.

The real highlight for Dyfi was Gwynant (Blue 3R) being spotted as having returned.

Mrs G and Aran have paired up for another year at Glaslyn. and soon Mrs G was laying the eggs

Bssenthwaite has not not started yet as the female did not return.

Kielder got off to a late start but is now doing well. However the Kielder 3 male did not return. Still Blue UV gave a masterclass in migration once again.

EJ found a new partner at Loch Garten and he has been named George. He is still not the most reliable in the fish department.

Loch of the Lowes have had a normal season after a bit of a scare that LM12 was late.

The news for the month will appear on the Osprey News Bulletin for May 2018.

The osprey news for May 2018 will appear in The Osprey News for May 2018

• Thanks for opening the thread CC and TIGER for the great intro.

Lots happening and a great deal to chat about.   Another highlight for me is the safe return of White 14 and Blue YD and last but not least - S1(15).  

Additionally mingled with joy is sadness too with no sign of Odin.  But, as I have already said, if he has indeed departed this earth, then I like to think of him having a ball in Valhalla.

• Thanks to CC for starting us off into an exciting (I hope) month, and Tiger for your excellent summary, as usual!

It seems more work is being undertaken to encourage osprey into Derbyshire - Derwent Valley.  There have been sightings at the Derwent Reservoir at Carsington.

• There are some wonderful gems way down on the list of threads, and this is one started by jbs in 2010, with nest/chick data.  I haven't been thru it properly, but I guess a lot of the info is now on iMagicat, as Tiger contributed to the jbs thread.  Worth bookmarking, perhaps?

• Thanks for the thread CC and Tiger's update. Let's not forget Clarach, Glesni's legacy, amongst others, safely back on her Scottish nest at Aberfoyle with what is widely held to be her partner from last year. First egg got taken by corvid(s), but she laid her second today and let's hope for more and that they all stay safe.

• I have seen a FB report of a sighting of Blue HS9 on the Isle of Bute, which has been sent to Roy Dennis, and confirmation of details are anticipated. 

I had a record of Blue HS9 as a 2015 chick,  and named Eilidh.   My notes also suggested HS9 was the sole chick, from three, the other two eggs failed. But stupidly I hadn't noted where I got the information from, so had no idea where she hatched.

The person who was present at the ringing of HS9 was tagged on the FB discussion, and came rushing in.  He said he was almost in tears to learn that Eilidh had been seen again on Islay.  He has given me permission to pass this information on.  Eilidh is his daughter.

Fast forward to last year, 27 May to be exact, when Blue HS8(14) f, an older sibling of HS9, intruded at LG!

I was away in Scotland at the time, and had no recollection of it, but here is the DU of 27 May, and a local newspaper report

I wonder what has happened to her.

• First chick of 2018 just hatched at Manton Bay and a new record.

• I see that last night EJ carried away the fish in her  beak. I do not think that is seen very often. 

• Hazel b said:

I see that last night EJ carried away the fish in her  beak. I do not think that is seen very often. 

I have seen Maya once earlier in the season do this and commented as I had not seen it before.

EJ, however has done this twice to my knowledge, last night and I think it was last week.   I recall this because of thinking that there may be something wrong with EJ's right foot.   Trying, since has also remarked about her foot. 

Maya is fine but could this be the reason for EJ doing this or just hunger and quickly grabbing and flying off?   I should also add that on both occasions, EJ has returned quickly - did she drop the fish or eat it exceptionally quick?

• Karen W said:

I see that last night EJ carried away the fish in her  beak. I do not think that is seen very often. 

I have seen Maya once earlier in the season do this and commented as I had not seen it before.

EJ, however has done this twice to my knowledge, last night and I think it was last week.   I recall this because of thinking that there may be something wrong with EJ's right foot.   Trying, since has also remarked about her foot. 

Maya is fine but could this be the reason for EJ doing this or just hunger and quickly grabbing and flying off?   I should also add that on both occasions, EJ has returned quickly - did she drop the fish or eat it exceptionally quick?

[/quote]
    It happens sometimes at Kielder, especially if it is only a part fish.