LG Chick Stats for future years, presently 2008 to 2011 historical record.

EDIT: 16th July 2011. The latest 2011 stats are on page 2 of this thread.

EDIT: 1st December 2010.

Now including 2010 stats immediately below. The previous title of this thread was.......

'*** 2009 and *** 2008 Chicks Stats - in draft copy - for review/agreement.'

2010 data.

Word 2010

Word 97-2003

Image for those without Word.

END of edit.

oooooooOOOOooooooo

I have made a first draft copy of 2009 season's chicks statistics. I am putting it up on a new thread for your comments, corrections and additional information. Then we should produce an up-to-date record of the 2009 season and the development of the young birds up to the present.

I suggest that only discussion relevant to the above objective, be included. Any informal discussion could continue on the Daily LG Update, (or its successor during the migration months).

I am doing this now, before the likely drop off of contributors, to the threads during the coming months, so that their contributions are captured.

I shall also do a stats page for 2008, when I get time.

Specific points.

I have assumed that Garten's migration started the day after he was last seen at 8.30pm.

I have recorded Mallachie as missing, because the sat-pack stopped sending. Sticking to the facts as we know them, without drawing any further speculative conclusions. I think that this is the most sympathetic solution, without causing anyone any further upset.

Sightings of migrating juveniles is a bit of a grey area, but we have had some sightings and here is a subject  where a joint effort could pay dividends, as reading through the blogs is very time consuming. So far, I have only put in Mallachie's star performance, posing for Didier (Xalbai), which everyone loved so much.

If there are any other headings needed, these can be added. The resulting document can be referred to in Sue C's Q and A thread. for future reference.

I hope to have your support in this project, thanks.

Here it the first draft in Word 2010

and in Word 97 - 2003

Later I shall post an image of the document for those without MS Offfice, but I find sizing it problematical, it usually ends up being too small or too large, so bear with me now, as I have to go out.

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies

• JSB I have at stat sheet for 2009 too.  See http://www.osprey2005.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/LG_2009.jpg

There is a discrepancy between the main blog and other reports.

The main blog says that the third egg was seen to be hatching ay 9.20pm  on 26th May and then does not indicate when  the third hatchling was first seen.

However Wattle 15 posts this in the comments of the previous blog and Richard confirms.

Posted on

Tuesday, 26 May 2009 at 21:51

re: Wait a second... there's a second chick!-->

Well, there are certainly 3 chicks now!!!  When I went to Webcam just now, OJ was feeding the chicks, and there were THREE little heads wobbling about!  #1 and #2 had a really good feed, but I didn't actually see #3 have anything.  the feeding was well in progress when I first came on though, so it may well have had its first few morsels then.  It seemed ready to go back to sleep long before the feeding of older chicks was finished.  OJ did tap it on the head while holding a small morsel in her beak, but #3 didn't raise its head, so #2 got the morsel before Mum settled back down on them.  Much wriggling and poking about before all were settled comfortably, tail-end snack left in the larder for later.

REPLY:  Yep, a hat-trick for Odin and EJ.  The evening watch volunteers just phoned to confirm that the third has indeed hatched.  Marvellous.  -  Richard

Thus Garten was first seen hatched at 21.51 on Tuesday 26th May 2009.

Otherwise my records and yours seem identical except for the data I have not reported.

• Hi Tiger: Thanks for that correction, I read the blogs again just to satisfy myself. So Garten's DOB now should read 26/5/2009 and well done Wattie 15, being sharp-eyed to spot the arrival. Also the hyperlink for Garten is correct and I have the feeling I originally had the 26th, then read the blog of the 27th, sometime later and changed my original entry. When I used to do research for a living, I sometimes used to note the source of every scrap of data, then one could track-back. If anyone has ever done genealogy, it is a common problem, making changes and then losing the original reference. (I digress, tut-tut.)

My master copy is now corrected!

• Tiger: I have saved your stat sheets. For 2008 I was intending to go through the same methodology as the other years to collect the data, then I can use your info for checking. I am not sure yet, if I shall do 2007, but of course, just because the story then was not a happy one, should not put me off. Many thanks for the very useful information.

• jsb

No particular comments, but thanks for documenting this and I'm happy for you to post the finished sheets in the Q&A thread. (I'm wondering if I should change its title to something like "Osprey Facts & Figures" - it hasn't really taken off as a Q&A.)

Don't know if you've seen this, but Ploughboy on the Finnish osprey forum has pinched your format and adapted it: 

http://www.luotio.fi/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=168&sid=4cfd31d68e70e35ef18f54d3ed80ec71    

• Sue C: The idea was to put a link on the Q and A, because the stats as you know contain formulae that update every day. So maybe no need to change the title? Re the Finnish website, Auntie, did ask and I said 'OK'. What do you think about 'missing' where I am using it, I thought about 'lost contact' as well, but I cannot go on calculating the age of a bird that may be lost for good? That's why I have done it the way I have.

• An image for those without Word. Sorry about the bottom being chopped off, I shall try better next time!

• 2008 for review of draft. I already posted this but it has disappeared,

Please note that these stats contain reference to Deshar and the third chick of 2008.

In Word 2010.

In Word 97 - 2003.

I need to check the RSPB diary migration date of 20th with the sat tracking, there may be a discrepancy, but it is getting too late to continue tonight. Time for a cuppa.

EDIT. Thurs 12th. The sat tracking map shows both juveniles left LG on 20th August 2008.

• Is it the case that Orange VS has not been seen since he left on migration 15th August 2008?

• 2008 an image for those without Word.