LOCH GARTEN OSPREY GABFEST for APRIL and MAY, 2018

• Unknown said:
    Its sunny and dry so will get out to LOTL and then to Aberfoyle area

Keith, can you remove the twiggy branch obscuring our view of the first egg at Aberfoyle please?

• KEITH, I do hope you can stay in touch while you are on this side of THE POND. We do have WiFi on this side, you know.

•          Raindrops on the lens and white streaks coming down.  Looks like snow, but I can hear the occasional plunk, plunk, so it is rain.  Snow does not make noise when it lands.

•    These captures were made within  minutes of each other.  EJ fiddled around a bit with the eggs and within another minute was back to incubating.

It looks bright & sunny and EJ is drying out nicely compared with the last time I checked in.  I still haven't caught a recent glimpse of Geordie.

• Unknown said:

Raindrops on the lens and white streaks coming down.  Looks like snow, but I can hear the occasional plunk, plunk, so it is rain.  Snow does not make noise when it lands.

It may have been hailstorms. I was out earlier over The Trossachs and was pelted with severe hailstorms.

• A MIXED BAG - I was out over The Trossachs after noon and later in the afternoon popped into DML close by Aberfoyle to take a look.

As I was out most of the day I had not heard any news only to be excited to hear at DML that Blue 2R (Clarach)had laid her first 2018 egg earlier but soon to be told she had lost it to an attack by a corvid which took it away.

I spent a little while at Lake of Monteith but after being pelted by persistent Hail Storms decided to abandon any further osprey watching.

Well cheerful news on arrival home that GWYNANT - Blue 3R had landed on a nest close to Glaslyn the first time I believe he has been sighted since leaving Dyfi as a young osprey on 30 August 2014.

Both 2R (2013) and 3R (2014) are offspring of MONTY/Blue 12 (GLESNI).

TIGER always said to me wait until May 1 before writing them off so will wait a few days but I think we can be almost certain we may never see Blue 12 again but her legacy remains with Blue 2R despite the little set back today and the good news of 3R.

THE UPS AND DOWNS OF OSPREYS

GWYNANT's ARRIVAL

• Uhh-OHH.  Could have been, but EJ didn't look particularly uncomfortable or self-protective. ***

How much "out" were you?  If you were actually outside, I hope you had at least hat and coat protection.

Once we were stopped on the road by a storm and sat in the car while it was hit with golf ball size hailstones.  No damage to us or the car.  However, when we reached home we found baseball size stones in the backyard.  One window was cracked and there was dent damage to a car parked in the driveway.

We were lucky.  There were tornadoes to the south and north of us with severe damage to homes and loss of life.

But I do love an ordinary hail "storm" when I'm inside looking out.  :)

*** Edit  But then EJ never does hunker down as much as I think she could and should.

• Unknown said:

KEITH, I do hope you can stay in touch while you are on this side of THE POND. We do have WiFi on this side, you know.

Yes I have good WiFi in my house in Saratoga Springs - LBV - FL.

Problem is I do not have a minute to spare except when I am asleep.