MANTON BAY - MARCH 2018

The purpose of this thread is to record the day-to-day activity at the Manton Bay nest thus freeing up the Rutland Osprey Project 2018 thread for general news on all the other birds, nests and projects.

Details about the Manton Bay nest, including a table of the breeding data, can be found here.   

Last year we were thrilled to see both Maya and Blue 33(11) return within hours of each other on the 22 March and I am sure I speak for us all in wishing them both a safe journey home and for another successful season at Manton Bay. 

• Looks like Maya is trying to do outdo Blue33 but she can't quite manage the long stick ;-D

IMAGICAT

• Clare I was there 8th to 14th July - I logged the last sighting of EJ when she was harried off the nest by another female, she left her fish and has not been see since. I believe they, at the centre, hoped she’d migrated early as a result of having lost Odin and all her chicks - I really hope she comes back, got quite attached to the bird that initiated my interest and love of Osprey.

Gilli

• On the nest at the moment, re-arranging the furniture. Ian

• Briefly off the nest returning with a stick and then busying herself with the nest

(c) Rutland Osprey Project

Edit:  She's now flown

• scylla said:

Looks like Maya is trying to do outdo Blue33 but she can't quite manage the long stick ;-D

Then she brought in another awkward one - not as bad as the first tho.  (My bottom cam has been freezing on 'n off.)

She's been in again since but I'm taking a break :)

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:

Looks like Maya is trying to do outdo Blue33 but she can't quite manage the long stick ;-D

Then she brought in another awkward one - not as bad as the first tho.  (My bottom cam has been freezing on 'n off.)

(Please visit the site to view this video)

She's been in again since but I'm taking a break :)

[/quote]

I've just bumped Scylla's post as her video on the last post of the previous page is "a must watch"

When Maya first arrives, one would think she was on a pogo stick

Brilliant - thanks Scylla 

ROTFL

• I don't know why Scylla's video has not copied over and saying "Please visit site to view this video".

Here is the link to post containing video on previous page ....  please watch as it is really funny

• Floated down from perch.

Flew off.

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:

Got slightly buzzed:

By this bird:

Definitely a black-headed gull that time!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare Bailey said:
    Definitely a black-headed gull that time!

I decided not to risk an ID, but that's what I thought :)))

I wonder who bothered her this time?  She didn't mantle so I thought she might just have been excited, but no-one seen, no action transpired:

IMAGICAT