Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 10 December 2017

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. 

Poinsettias
U.S. Dept. of Agriculture photo
Labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• ForestBoar said:
    Blue badge holders can park for free in a designated disabled space BUT if there is not one available then you can park in an ordinary space but you have to pay.

That's diabolical.  Ipswich Hospital has a lot more disabled spaces than that - and if none are available then you can use any space, with no charge.  I find it appalling that people should have to pay to park at a hospital, even the staff.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Hi, all.  Ice disappeared overnight, temp swithering around plus 4 this morning, with occasional short rain showers.  Quite windy, but still a few leaves hanging on the Birch and Willow.  Just seen on local news that there is to be more felling of Larch in two of our nearby forests next month to try to get ahead of Larch Disease.

Linda – back to mishaps I see!  Maybe you are in too much of a hurry with lots to do!

AQ – thanks for posting the depiction of Christmas card – interesting rendition of the rhyme!  Why do injured bits always hurt so much when we wake up in the morning?  Hope you improved somewhat again today.

Heather – hope your day goes well, with safe travel and good shopping with your daughter.  Are they going to drive you home this evening with the dehumidifier?

Clare – I so agree about hospital parking, especially for staff!

No more baking before Christmas – unless we run out of mince pies (I do have one more measure of mincemeat in the freezer if needed).  OH will do a careful clean of the lounge today ready for decorating if he can get the tree etc from the loft before The Day!  I am going to have to borrow wrapping paper from J (he already has his down for Secret Santa at work) so that Miriam’s present can be posted in time!

We had a big box arrive yesterday afternoon, containing gifts and other stuff from Daughter #2.  Now family members have received their “Save the Day” cards, I can share the wedding plans.  She and her fiancé will marry at Gretna Green (Old Parish Church, not Blacksmith Shop) next July.  Because it is a few days before our 50th Anniversary, they offered to share the day with us, as guest list would be so similar, and we shall have a blessing at the church and share the celebration!  I kept asking if they really wanted this, and they seem very sure – I think it is partly in appreciation of our support when others have reacted badly to their situation, as well as saving me having to organise something or risk a surprise!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• OG   That sounds like a wonderful double celebration. I remember that when OH and I asked Mum if she wanted to come to Kenya with us, her immediate reaction of hesitation surprised me.  She called back later to tell me that of course she would love to come with us and had only hesitated as she didn't want to be a burden....as if. She was staying with my Grandparents at the time and they had told her that of course she must go as we wouldn't have asked her if we didn't want her to come.. I am sure the same thing applies to your daughter.    Anyway Mum had never flown before and in those days getting on the flight deck was not a problem and so of course another great experience for her. She also enjoyed her holiday very, very much. I read the airmail letters and postcards she sent to my Grandparents, all full of the wildlife and sights that she had seen and was so glad we had invited her along.

• Sounds really good, OG!  - as you say, it would save anyone wondering what they should organise by way of celebration, including any unwanted surprises! You'll all have a fantastic couple of days, I'm sure!

I've been dashing about again - collected my new specs from opticians, went into M&S for food, got my photos put onto a disc in Boots, went to Sainsburys then on to visit Friend bearing her present for Christmas, and we swapped, as they are off to spend the festivities with their daughter next week.

Came home cold and weary, had a quick bit of toast, then went out again with my OH to buy a Christmas tree as we're having a real one this year.

Caught Bonnie asleep on the sofa, on her mat which I put on it to protect it of course.

• Just a quick one OG: Short of time as I have been catching up on lost days due to weather. I will come back with comments on the Caddy but have been trying to squeeze three lost days into one due to weather, match sticks to keep eyes open. Either tonight or definitely tomorrow. What I will say is that we have not regretted the purchase at all and I think you will like it. I do have comments, nothing major, more like niggles! The reason we went this way is that older SD had a back end shunt by a Heavy Duty Volvo truck earlier this year. The police said if she wasn't driving a VW she would have been dead. Say no more!

• OG: Our previous vehicle was a Fiat Multipla and all manual. Bending and lifting was becoming a pain. We were looking at a spec which we could afford bearing in mind that we don't qualify for Motability as we do more than 5000 miles a year. After my brother was killed we had a serious choice on a replacement vehicle. When we got it my reaction was I have got rid of a horse and cart and bought a Concorde. That over we were able to specify exactly what options we wanted. The vehicle is very comfortable to drive. I test drove the petrol version (1.6 litre turbo) being aware of coming taxes etc BUT it was a 1.6turbo with all the power in the turbo. Our demo driver said you will be lucky to average 35mpg. The 2 litre diesel which we have is latest standards and should survive in our lifetime before all the major changes come into force! Average fuel consumption is 58mpg. I enjoy driving it but have problems aligning it in parking spaces as I lose all references to the white lines. My main niggle is the windscreen door pillars. Where we live we have several sharp bends on hills which have blind spots. The door pillars create a fairly large blind spot when meeting artics.

Overall I would NOT part with it. Our conversion was a fully automatic back-end which only means bending down to fit the wheelchair straps.

The company we used is this one https://sirusautomotive.co.uk/. They are involved with Motability. They come out to you for demos and advice and if anything goes wrong in the first 3 years they will send out an engineer to sort it out foc. They are a company that we would definitely use again but suspect that we won't need a replacement vehicle after this one.

• Another Aussie card, a sugar glider with gum blossom.

• Oh! - That's lovely, AQ!  A sugar glider......??

Good  Morning,  All.  Can see the crescent moon out of my bedroom window again.