Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 28 May 2017

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH ON THURSDAY!

Summertime arriving for us all except AQ. Have a good winter, AQ.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Green Jay
Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge, Texas USA
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Photo labelled public domain (copyright free)

This beautiful bird is native to Central and South America and reaches its northern limit in south Texas.

• I wonder if anyone can help me?  During my time in Scotland next month I have a free day while staying in Duns.  Are there any RSPB reserves near there - or even any osprey locations?  I am planning to visit Loch of the Lowes later in the week when I am staying near Perth, but am looking for somewhere a bit closer to Duns.  I am thinking about the Farne Islands (rather a long way) or St Abbs Head, but any 'local knowledge' or suggestions would be welcomed.

• PAT - there is actually a nature reserve at Duns Castle, but I don't know anything about it.  There have been in past years Ospreys at Born in the Borders brewery and visitor centre near Jedburgh, and there are a number of reserves around the Berwickshire coast, I believe.  Try searching - that's what I just did, but I don't have time to continue now!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Thank you, OG.  I'm afraid I don't find the RSPB website very helpful ... I may try Jedburgh, which I haven't visited for many years!  The coast looks promising.  The friends I will be visiting haven't lived in Duns for very long, but they have mentioned Duns Castle.  I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever I find!

• I just did a general search, not RSPB.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Hi Pat ... there are some places in north Northumberland that might interest you ... Berwick on Tweed, Bamburgh and Lindisfarne for instance. I am biased as I live in Northumberland, and I lived in Berwick during my teenage years!

There is also the Tweed Valley Forest Park ... I visited the osprey observation post a few years ago ... this is the website  ... sorry I can't do a posh link!! http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/forest-parks/tweed-valley-forest-park/wildlife

I hope you may find some of this useful ... and enjoy your holiday.

Joan - avid bird and nature watcher in Northumberland!

Index Thread

• Djoan S my friend and I stayed in Seahouses last year ( loved it)..

Visited Berwick etc but our main reason was to go to the Farne Islands..

Amazing first hand visit as Jen warden at LG for a few years was working there.

This year she is in charge..

She took her day off to go on our trip so got to go behind their very basic living accommodation. No full time electricity and no running water. Water is brought over by day trip boats. The boys and girls looking after our wildlife are amazing..

Bonus point Lolo Williams :-))))

• Hi Wendy ... yes the Farnes are wonderful ... but very weather dependent!! I love the whole Northumberland coast right down to the south east where I live now and there are lovely birding trips to be had everywhere if you know where to look!

Index Thread

• My first time ...I live not far from LG..

Enjoyed the whole area but found Lindisfarne a little overcrowded..

Jen was an amazing host..

• Lindisfarne can be awful in the high season but perhaps not so bad this year as the castle is closed for renovations. Its really lovely when its quiet and I'm lucky to be able to visit then!

I envy you living where you do ... I haven't been up there for years. 

Index Thread

• Where ever we live has its bonuses..

Lived in Dorset for over 30 years miles of coast Arne and other lovely places .