BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2017

Some history of the BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS.

MALE - GREEN BF - RINGED HADDO 11 JULY 2004 - FIRST SEEN AT BALGAVIES IN 2008

FEMALE - WHITE UF - RINGED CLUNIE CASTLE 9 JULY 2009 - RING NUMBER 1428309

BLUE YD - RUNG AND SATELLITE TAGGED BY K. BROCKIE AND ROY DENNIS 17 JULY 2012

He has been sighted back in Scotland in recent years.  

ALL SUBSEQUENT BROODS HAVE NOT BEEN RINGED.

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2016

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2015

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2014

Some of Darren Dawson's magnificent photos to remind ourselves of this lovely Osprey Family.

LAST YEARS BROOD OF FOUR

AND A STUNNING CLOSE UP OF ONE OF LAST YEAR'S JUVENILES

CLICK TO ENLARGE ALL PHOTOS

ALL ARE COPYRIGHT OF DARREN DAWSON.

Wishing that both male and female return safely and have a productive breeding year ahead.  

• Thank you Mary for all your updates of Balgavies and for posting Darren's wonderful photos. It is wonderful to see them, and to learn of the background info.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Blue CR6 mentioned by Mary was also an intruder at Balgavies Loch, on the 1st of May. Below is one of pictures taken.

Ian Francis was the ringer and he sent me the following:

"It was ringed as a nestling (brood of 3) near Ballater, Deeside in July 2013. This bird was also photographed at Montrose Basin in August 2016.  It’s interesting that it was trying to land on the nest at Balgavies."

I'd like to mention that Ian asked if White UF was still nesting at Balgavies. She likely was a special bird for him.

• Thank You for this info Roberto.     If Ian asked about White UF no doubt he rung her, it's especially sad that she did not return as not an old bird, rung in 2009.

I always wonder about the first female who turned up at Balgavies this year with a metal ring and no darvic, could it have been her minus her darvic, I need to spend more time studying Darren's photos of White UF from last year and the non-darvic  one of this year.   Something to concentrate on over the closed season :-)

• A nice end of season post from Darren with two of his usual stunning photos of Green BF and MRS GREEN BF

CLICK ON PHOTO TO GO TO FB PAGE

COPYRIGHT DARREN DAWSON 

Its been a great season once again at Balgavies, 3 healthy chicks, what more could we want....  may they all stay safe and I look forward to seeing GREEN BF AND HIS MRS again next year.    

• Thank you Mary... and all involved.

• At the end of the season, thank you Mary for keeping this forum up to date on developments at Balgavies Loch. I know that information was available on FB, but regularly checking for updates and posting here wonderful photos from Darren and other photographers denotes dedication and perseverance - and it's not the only nest you are following, I believe!!!

I frequently limited to "like" your posts without comments because I would have been quite repetitive. But I (and I feel entitled to say "we") really liked them beyond the simple click of a button.

• I agree with you Roberto, I am always amazed at the effort that goes into these numerous threads. Ian

• Awww thank you so much Roberto for your very kind words, it is always my pleasure to update the thread, because as you know yourself Balgavies is such a lovely place to visit, it may not have a fancy visitor centre, but it's small hide is always full of enthusiastic visitors, where the banter is good, and there is such a variety of birds, in and around the loch to see, as well as the Ospreys.    

My thanks goes to all the wonderful photographers who go there and post their photographs on Facebook, but most of all to Darren who is so willing to share his photographs with us and keeps the Facebook page updated with news from in and around the loch.   I only keep this thread updated with the news that is posted there, but your nice post is very much appreciated by me.  :-) 

Until next season.....  let's hope it's another good one. 

• DARREN and MIKE are giving away a chance to win some prints.   Full details on the Facebook Page.  

CLICK ON DARRENS PHOTO TO GO TO FB PAGE

COPYRIGHT DARREN DAWSON

• Great pictures. Going to FB and enlarging the kingfisher one highly recommended!