Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 12 March 2017

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!

Sunday is the March Full Moon.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

San Joaquin Kit Fox, the smallest species of fox in North America and
one of California's most endangered animals
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service photo
Labelled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• A pic of Ben Wyvis from the A9 en route to Dingwall last Sunday. We see this Munro (3460 ft) from our daily walks in the woods with Benson.

• Wow.  That's the one thing our beautiful local scenery doesn't have, though it wouldn't quite fit around here!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I thought I'd mention that I've heard the first chiffchaff in the neighbourhood today!  Of course it would be too much to expect for the bird to let us actually see it!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Loved the photos Clare. Thank you. I have been watching goldfinches on my feeder this morning and a blackbird having a wonderful wash and brush up in my bird bath. I heard and saw skylarks a bout 10 days ago. Aren't they a wonderful herald of spring?

• rusty2 said:
    I heard and saw skylarks a bout 10 days ago. Aren't they a wonderful herald of spring?

They are indeed!

On a completely different note our cockatiels are rampantly mating again!  They go through these spells every so often.  It's hysterically funny if they start a session while Limpy's in the room!

• Good evening, all.  It's been an unexpectedly nice day here so got more washing on the line and then headed to Felixstowe Ferry with my camera.  Some photos will follow, though they're almost completely dominated by gulls!

• Looking forward to the gulls ... and also still smiling at the antics of the cockatiels.  Must be spring in the air!

• Morning all:

Clare: Like the sleek lines of that heron coming in to land. Also the cranky duo rushing to deter the Egyptian goose.  And that graylag was having a good hose down.  Markings on the pintails and shelducks are so elegant!

Just spent two days cleaning out our fountain, which has been out of commission with all the rain, so very grotty and bunged up with feathers, etc. Amazingly, OH and I got it all balanced and various bits aligned and working first time round.  A relief, coz we both get a bit cranky when it doesn't cooperate quickly.  Plan to put together lunch, pick up book, put up feet and spend an hour on the patio listening to it burbling away (great white noise for naps too!).

Take care ALL

• Unknown said:
    Just spent two days cleaning out our fountain, which has been out of commission with all the rain, so very grotty and bunged up with feathers, etc. Amazingly, OH and I got it all balanced and various bits aligned and working first time round.  A relief, coz we both get a bit cranky when it doesn't cooperate quickly.

Well done!  That must be a relief.

Unknown said:
    Plan to put together lunch, pick up book, put up feet and spend an hour on the patio listening to it burbling away (great white noise for naps too!).

You've really earned that!  Wish I could join you, though I'd certainly fall asleep.  I love the sound of running water.

Unknown said:
    Like the sleek lines of that heron coming in to land. Also the cranky duo rushing to deter the Egyptian goose.  And that graylag was having a good hose down.  Markings on the pintails and shelducks are so elegant!

Glad you like them.  I'm preparing some more photos for another thread - there's no stopping me at the moment!

• Here we are - click on this lovely juvenile gull to see the rest: