RUTLAND OSPREY PROJECT - 2017

The 2017 season is almost upon us and my first thoughts are of 03(97) / Mr Rutland as he was usually the first back on or around the 17th March and heralded the start of the season. 

03(97) - Mr Rutland   ........  Copyright "LRWT- John Wright"

Sadly 03(97) is no longer with us but it is nice to think of him and smile knowing his legacy will live on as we now eagerly await the safe return of all the regulars and also new returnees.

A safe journey to all.

• scylla said:

25(10) and 5N(04) are back.

Didn't one or both of them visit the Manton Bay nest last year or the year before, while we were waiting for the residents?  I've been hoping we'd get a repeat.

[/quote]

Scylla, I am sure both did visit Maya and for some reason I think it was 25 who returned to the nest when 33 returned on the 27th March.  Will have to look back, curious now :-)

• Karen, Thanks for the River Gwash report.  I do hope it is 1J who was fishing there today.  You probably know that he is from the last family (2013) of the much missed Manton Bay male, 5R, who did not return in 2014.

• Karen W said:

25(10) and 5N(04) are back.

Didn't one or both of them visit the Manton Bay nest last year or the year before, while we were waiting for the residents?  I've been hoping we'd get a repeat.

[/quote]

Scylla, I am sure both did visit Maya and for some reason I think it was 25 who returned to the nest when 33 returned on the 27th March.  Will have to look back, curious now :-)

[/quote]

There was one year when there were three females in Manton Bay. I think it was 2012 or 2013.  5N still sees Manton bay as hers even though she abandoned it in 2009.  She does not take on Maya as Maya has given her a few good beatings over the years. 

• Aw, poor 5N, Tiger!  I didn't know about Maya trouncing 5N in the past.  Glesni would find that embarrassing because SHE is so tough (not that I am being anthropomorphic or anything, perish the thought!)

• Unknown said:

Aw, poor 5N, Tiger!  I didn't know about Maya trouncing 5N in the past.  Glesni would find that embarrassing because SHE is so tough (not that I am being anthropomorphic or anything, perish the thought!)

I think that Maya may be the toughest female in Rutland. 

• Thanks KAREN Hope she gets back to Rutland safely

• 1J(13) is back  

River Gwash Ospreys have confirmed that the osprey visiting their site last night was 1J(13)

(c) River Gwash Osprey - FB link to page

• Karen, Thanks for the information from River Gwash Ospreys. I am so thrilled that 1J is back.  He was from the first nest of UK Ospreys I've been fortunate to watch in person, so he and his whole family are special for me.  I don't know, but I imagine he has not yet had a nest and family as he was only 3 last year.  It would be interesting to see if he has a nest this year--hope we will be told eventually!

• Tiger, Ha, ha, made me laugh and you are probably right--Maya may well be the toughest Rutland Osprey.  That would then mean that Ospreys must view the Manton Bay nest as the most desirable property on/near Rutland Water.  Which is exceedingly convenient for Ospreyholics, since we can see the MB nest on the webcam.  It has been a while since I read the Rutland book and cannot remember the history of platform building there but I applaud the person(s) who chose to build a nest platform in Manton Bay!