Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 19 February 2017

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I thought I would begin the new thread by honoring Margo, who passed on this past week. She was a much-loved member of our community, and she will be missed. Comfort and solace to Chris, her OH.

Billie, Margo's beloved cat, was such a joy in her life, I thought these two happy kittens cuddled in the shape of a heart might be appropriate.

Cuddled Kittens
Labelled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• ANNETTE yes cousin is still in hospital, has been since Aug and will be for at least another 6 weeks.

We went to see "Hidden Figures this afternoon and both thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely a 10/10

• Good evening, all.  Had a nice day at Minsmere and am now going through the photos.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• New series starting on Channel 4 at 8.00pm on Sunday. Rivers With Jeremy Paxman. River Tweed this week, Paxo "Tags osprey chicks in a secret mountain location"

• Here we go - click on this adorable tree creeper to see the rest:

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Just lovely, CLARE. You are so privileged to be able to see all these. Love your captions, too!!

• The wildlife isn't bad in your part of the world.  It's great to see dolphins, eagles and red squirrels whenever I visit northern Scotland.  I will agree that Minsmere and the Suffolk coast are a bit special, though.  A big bit!

• Alan: Glad they're keeping the osprey location secret.

dibnlib: I love the current trend of telling the stories of these and other "forgotten" people who labored in the shadows of historic events.

Clare: What was that magnificently attired bird with the mauve/orange feathers!  Tell me it wasn't the male version of its rather drab companion! :-)

EE: How's the wifi at Annan?

Wonder if Lindybird has run out of shoes yet......

• Thank you, Clare, for another set of lovely photographs.  A great start to my day.  I will have to get to Minsmere sometime ... I bet I won't see nearly as many lovely birds as you are showing us.

• Unknown said:

Clare: What was that magnificently attired bird with the mauve/orange feathers!  Tell me it wasn't the male version of its rather drab companion! :-)

Annette, as Clare is either looking after Limpy, having a lay in, or on her way to Minsmere I hope she won't mind me answering.

The bird is a cock Pheasant and his companion is indeed the female!

• Good morning, all!  Sorry, I was knackered and I slept in.

It's a shame the female pheasant does initially look dull next to the male - but when you get up close to her you notice her beautiful markings and the almost pinky-gold colour of her feathers.

Both male and female can eat for Britain!

We're off to Abberton Reservoir today - fingers crossed there's plenty about.