Loch Garten GABFEST in hibernation for January and February, 2017

• Willow, Why don't you chose an arrival date for us this year? Any date chosen by anyone is just a guess, so why not yours.  Look up some old dates of arrival, make your choice, let me know and I'll start a countdown.

I can see you are already counting in your mind.  :)

• Happy New Year to you, too, June (and to all posters and lurkers!)  Love the Long Horn Cattle and Tweety.  There was no white Christmas here in the south of England this year.  Just as well or it would have brought the place to a grinding halt!  Now on with another Osprey-filled year.  Hope they all return safely.

Kind regards, Ann

• About the longhorn cattle.  Where I found the pictures, they were accompanied with an article that gave glimpses into the workings of a real American cowboy who owned and worked the ranch where the cattle lived.  I posted the pictures, then went back for the article.  To my dismay, I could not find a way to transfer the article to The Gabfest.  So I decided to eliminate/delete the pictures, only to find I couldn't do that either.  So we were stuck with the Longhorns, although not nearly as interesting without the Cowboy story.

•   Hueston Woods in Southwestern Ohio.   This is an artificially constructed nest, but it serves a good purpose without disturbing any real nests.

Wonder how it compares with an osprey nest. 

• Thanks, June.  Lovely idea--it is something to interest the children and to educate them and their parents as well.

Kind regards, Ann

1. RSPB Operation Osprey
    2. · 7 hrs ·
    3. This beautiful photo of Loch Garten was captured yesterday by one of our regular visitors - thank you Sue

From Facebook

• Hello June and Gardenbirder. I will guess tht EJ will return on the 17 March this year! Odin will return 20 April! Not long now and hope they all return safely! Just been reading Kayleigh Brookes report of their visit to Senegal  :) Hope they see some of our ospreys there!

• Florida Osprey Egg laying in full swing.

First osprey Egg on Cam this year.

Thanks to Trudi Kron who took this cam shot and posted on Ospreys Pandion Haliaetus.

You can view live coverage at Pink Shell site. 

• 58willow said:

Hello June and Gardenbirder. I will guess tht EJ will return on the 17 March this year! Odin will return 20 April! Not long now and hope they all return safely! Just been reading Kayleigh Brookes report of their visit to Senegal  :) Hope they see some of our ospreys there!

Chris Wood reported yesterday that during a fleeting trip to Bullok he sighted LOTL Osprey FR3 from last season.This osprey has been viewed so many times settled in this area. Alan and Shiela posted the news on Sat Tagged Non LG ospreys. They saw many today along the Allehein River but No Rings apart from a German osprey that they could not read the ring
    58Willow your predictions - you are leaving EJ home alone for 5 weeks. She will probably get fed up and get herself a new man.
  • Keith, Thanks for the lovely photo reminder of the Shell Beach Ospreys and nest.  Something to watch while we wait for the UK birds to come back.  Fingers crossed for all of them.  And great news that FR3 was seen in Africa.

Willow, I noticed the huge gap in your predictions, too, like Keith noticed.  EJ would definitely find a toy boy to replace Odin if he was that far behind her!

Kind regards, Ann