Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 18 December 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY WINTER SOLSTICE!

The Winter Solstice is Wednesday (21 December). The return of the light!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Sunrise from the International Space Station
NASA photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Then we returned through the narrow entrance, and underneath the arch again, to view the rest of the site.  There were a lot of buildings which had been part of the servicing of the area, such as food stores, cookery areas, and water supplies. The whole place had been state of the art at the time, and must have been like staying in a grand hotel, said our guide.

There are some remains of beautiful columns of a structure erected by Alexander the Great in memory of his assassinated father, Philip - these were in a round formation and apparently it was the first time something like that had been put up which was not square or rectangular, as usual.

The columns from another angle, and from the other side:  I found it quite haunting, it must have been beautiful:

(As you can just see, a lot of these things were fenced off so that you could not walk on them and wear them out, by flimsy ropes.  I couldn't imagine this being a deterrent in the UK and something else surely would have been used!)

• We then returned through the site as we had limited time:  This was the gymnasium:

The next (and last pictures) will be of the wonderful modern Museum they have erected on the site, to house all the valuable statues and artifacts found during the excavations.

• Good to see photos Linda, thanks - but can't think how you found the time this week - so much going on here!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Heather sorry to read when I came on that your O/H had passed away it must have been a shock as you said in an earlier blog that he had been up sitting in the chair. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time as it seems to be so much worse when most people roundabout are in a festive mood. I am sure your family will be a great support to you.

Margo I am also hoping that you are feeling a bit better and that your recent bereavement hasn't taken too much of a toll on you.

Up to now this week has been rather busy as on Sunday I was out to lunch with SiL and her family yesterday I was visiting cousins on my father's side who live in Dunfermline and today have been on the usual shopping trip with SiL and her sister. I hope that everyone manages to do their Christmas chores without much difficulty and have everything ready for the big day.

george g

• Heather - Deeply shocked to hear your sad news. My sincerest thoughts and condolences go to you and all your family.

• Heather - I have just gotten on the forum and am deeply shocked at the news of the passing of your beloved OH. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to you and your family.

• I heard from Margo this afternoon. Last weeks blood transfusion didn't really help her, because she has been under so much stress and also had the infection. She has had two more units today and she is hoping that she will now start to have more energy and pick up, the way she would normally.

She has coped with a lot recently.

• Let's hope that today's treatment gives Margo the boost she needs.

• My OH's blood results were fine and no bleeding was found. Dr thinks that he has also had an infection, so we can go ahead with our plans for the holiday as long as he has no further problems.

• Hello Heather, just read about your sad news. Thoughts and prayers are with you at this time. May God give you His Peace and comfort as with all the family.