Chicks 1,2 and 3. - photo ID's, markings, required please

To get round the "no rings" problem, I know it is a tall order. Please contribute, any relevant information or images that illustrate the significant differences, markings, mannerisms? Well you get the idea, I hope.

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies

• A close up of at least two of them - but which ones?

• Unknown said:

Yes, think that's right - but it is very hard to tell them apart isn't it, this year?

Here is a pic of what I think is #One, practicing

--but not sure which one is on the right, watching. Could be #3,  as #2 has more white around the eye.

The  one on the nest flapping it's wings has to be #3. I  can see the feet of #1  flying over head 

That would make the  one on the right #2 

I can't explain it  but #3's eyes look  different  to me 

[/quote]

That is EJ in the air. See the big white ring on her right leg (assuming it is a ring)!

There is a chick half hidden by the forground chick.

• Yes, Tiger -  I said at the time that was EJ just arriving behind them.  But I put the pic up as I was looking at the ones on the nest.

• Field identification of individual ospreys using head marking pattern.

This abstract comes from a book 'Wildlife Management', this may offer us the best option I have seen so far for helping to identify our chicks in the future, if by chance a sighting in suitable circumstances does occur, post-migration.

Abstract: Indentification of individual birds in the field is difficult and usually requires capture and handling. With some species, capture can be impossible, harmful, or prohibited. In these cases an alternative means of identification is warranted. We analysed the pattern of the black marks that appear on the dorsal aspect of the head in osprey. Variation existed among individuals and it was possible to identify individuals because black marks were distinct in size, shape and number. Head marks changed only slightly from year to year, which allowed individual identification in the field without disturbing the birds.

End quote.

'dorsal' refers in our case to the top or back area of the head.

Many have already noted these very differences in our chicks. I would therefore invite you to add to the blog with first hand observations, with illustrations, but also without if you prefer. Thank you for your co-operation, which should enable us to come to an agreed position. Even when the birds have all fully fledged and image capture will be more difficult, we have a vast library of images, both personal and on these webpages to fall back on.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/3809565

• Good morning all thanks jsb for setting up this thread to help indenity chicks.  Also thanks to everyone else who has contributed.  Will keep referring to this in the hope I can get it right at least some of the time.

Margobird

• One other way of helping to identify chicks is by stance. All birds have their own invidual ways of standing and that can help a lot. I find that chick #3 is easy to ID when it is standing up and we are viewing its right side. It always looks very white.

• Some pics of #1's head markings:

(On the right in this last one - looking just like his dad)

• I took this pic this morning of all three in a row ... I can't identify them, but somebody else will be able to!

Joan - avid bird and nature watcher in Northumberland!

Index Thread

• Head shots of #2.

2a with tail of fish.

2b right side.

2c left side, needs better shot.

• Believe this to be #3 as he's been flappping & can't fly yet-----