Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 28 August 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK! HAPPY NEW MONTH ON THURSDAY! HAPPY NEW MOON ON THURSDAY, TOO!

Just to cheer everyone: Here are some cute wild raccoons ("trash pandas") that were playing at the Nature Center at the Turkey Run State Park just down the road from me. There are several pics.

Everyone have a wonderful week!

• Had a good meal last evening at the Old Toll Bar - this month's Friday special was Italian night.  I had Gnocchi with Samphire followed by Vege Lasagne, and no pud.  E-E and J each chose all different, with pud!  Shall not go to October (traditional roast) or November (bonfire night)so already looking forward to choice of three Fridays for December celebrations!

Woke just before alarm time this morning; all awake now, so cooked breakfast for three soon because it is Saturday.  Decided not to attempt catch-up on here, so will attempt daily look-in and replies from now on.

AQ - sorry to see knee is still painful; do take care what you try to do with it.

Margo - enjoy this weekend - hope you get some good weather for outings.

Linda - I hope you are enjoying weekend with Amber and family.

Brenda - very sorry about your D-in-L.  Hope she will soon be travelling home for surgery and treatment.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Good Morning Everyone. A sunny morning here. Rain due this evening. It is club competitions, finals day, today. OH has a final to play. This evening is a celebration of two couples ( a golden and a diamond wedding anniversary ) when we all enjoy a meal / wine provided by the couples. Must remember to take my brolly for the walk home.

Our village library has only survived because a retired librarian and volunteers are willing to run it. So many people depend on it. Obviously not a large library, but they do seem able to get various books, when requested. We have to travel much further afield for access to a complete library.

AQ, Well done in attending the library rally, but sorry that your knee is now paining. Take care.  

OG, Good to see your posts and read that you have been able to enjoy your Friday meal out. Are you able to show us some photographs of the tall ships ?
    Our D-i-L is going for more tests next week, in Singapore. 

• Good morning, Brenda - hope the bowls finals go well today - and that rain holds off.  There will be photos of Tall Ships - not in full sail, and views at the harbour were a bit disappointed - moored mostly side by side in twos, so views somewhat obstructed, but it was good to see them.

• Lindybird, I too was wondering why no news of Bonnie for some time. I thought that her deeds were too dastardly to report here! Glad I was wrong. Good news that she seems to be growing up.

Enjoy the weekend with family.

Annette, Thanks, you saved me googling Murrati's. It does sound more like a sports car, but happy for AQ that it isn't.

Enjoy  Monday, AQ. Hope the knee is less painful by then.

Sorry about your bad news, Brenda. Hoping for a good outcome.

We had our bowls finals last weekend. I lost.

Your evening plans sound good. Don't forget the brolly!

Thinking of Diane, as I am sure we all are.

• Looking forward to your photos, OG, but disappointed that you didn't see the ships as you were hoping to.

OH and I having a quietish afternoon before going up to middle daughter's home for a family buffet to celebrate Callum' s 18th birthday tomorrow. It will be a bit of a squash but our house is somewhat upside down just now!

ANNETTE- OH has been referred to physios to learn about exercises. I have in the past showed him the ones that I got taught for positional vertigo but now don't want to interfere with any specialized exercises he may learn (and hopefully practice!). He may have an entirely different reason for staggering!

• Morning all: Well, long holiday weekend here (the official "goodbye" to summer. Typically a weekend of BBQs and beach outings, so why is it raining - well drizzling heavily. Mind boggling. Global warming with local cooling seems to be the trend this summer.

Heather: Smart to let physios sort your OH out.  Enjoy Callum's b/day spread. Are they still going to see their Dad next month?

OG: Tall ships that visit here are typically moored for public viewing, so I imagine you have to catch them arriving or departing to get more of an effect. Still, they're always a treat to see. 

Brenda: Hope OH did well at bowls; enjoy your evening out.

Rosy: Muratti's looks lovely with cakes that seem quite different than usual - and I could live on pastries. Yum.

• ROSY - sorry you lost your match - was it the end of season for you?

HEATHER - although disappointed from photographic point of view, we were very happy with what we saw of the Tall Ships!  We didn't expect full sail in Harbour on Friday, but it would have been easier to take pictures of the rigging if they weren't double-parked at the moorings - and if there had been less barriers for "elf and safety".  When they came out of Blyth Harbour to prepare for the Race on Monday, we were watching through binoculars and OH's telescope from Newbiggin, across the Bay.  Used binoculars again when they actually set off, but they were out to sea by then, which is where they started hoisting more sail.  Spectacular!  Sorry your OH is staggering - it appears I had missed that earlier, I think - I hope it is nothing too serious; maybe labyrinthitis?

ANNETTE - is this Labor Day holiday over there?  There were thousands of people visiting the ships, from the Friday until they started the race on Monday (that was a public holiday in England although not at home in Scotland).  Other small harbours held their own festivals to coincide with the big event.

Seem to have had a quiet day - and between us have totally caught up with ironing!

• From USGS:

A magnitude 5.6 earthquake struck in Oklahoma on September 3, 2016 at 12:02:44 UTC (7:02 am local time).

Visit the USGS event page for more details on this earthquake.

Without studying the specifics of the wastewater injection and oil and gas production in this area, the USGS cannot currently conclude whether or not this particular earthquake was caused by industrial-related, human activities. However, we do know that many earthquakes in Oklahoma have been triggered by wastewater fluid injection. The USGS will continue to process seismic data in the following days and weeks that will help answer this question.

• OG: Tell me about it!  Those earthquakes in Oklahoma are almost certainly caused by fracking from what I've read. That 5.6 was a good size for that area and made the news reports here. Something like that would be seriously disconcerting for residents in the area.  There was also a similar-sized one off the coast of N. Calif today, but "normal" for that area. Yes, Labor Day indeed.