WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY, AUGUST 14, 2016

Hope it's a good/better week for everyone.

• Evening all: Very quiet on here today. People must be out socializing or wielding garden tools. Hope OG is getting rested up for her Tall Ships visit and that Margo is getting out and about to all those dinners.

AQ: Good grief. I'm even more mightily impressed by your own clowns on flicka. What cute faces!  Will you  donate woolly remnants to some worthy cause or are you expecting further inspiration at some point?  Maybe more sausages as kiddies head to kindergarten; wonder if they'd come in handy for college level math classes?  :-)  Diane seems to think you could make mucho bucks selling them at craft sales.  Photo/bakery excursions sounds good; leave room for me on the bakery segment.

Diane: A lovely moon indeed!  Thanks for the cruise ship update; I'll check it out.  And yes, that fire in San Bernardino County is horrendous - it really blew up quickly. Not to mention the one in Lake County that was set (they got the guy) and destroyed so many homes.  Then there are the floods in Louisiana....   I hesitate to ask how things are going with your bro, but hope things have stabilized somewhat....  EDIT: Just looked at the Shetland webcam - can't believe it gets light so early  - and we're already two months past the summer equinox.

Daughter is just about back to normal. Had a nice day with her and we went to feed the horses and inspect the hay field where they're moving to on Friday  Left her place at 4 p.m. just in time to find Highway 1 closed due an accident (various trucks collided then went off the road); fortunately it didn't delay me that much but I hate to think what all the folks who take that route home from work went through - they've only just reopened the road and it's 8 p.m.

Am halfway through Lord of the Rings and must confess I sort of skimmed the Tree people part... Back on track now.

• Unknown said:

Annette, MaryGK, and anyone interested: The big cruise ship, the Arcadia, and the smaller ship, the Hebridean Sky, are both due into Lerwick Harbour very early in the morning. It should be interesting to watch them ushered in. Some of the Shetland webcams have been freezing. The techies are working

Hi Diane

Arcadia is owned by P&O, we have been on her four times in 2005, 2006, 2008 and 2009.  She is a very nice ship, would be classed small in size now.

In Tenerife this young gull got stuck on our balcony, it looked stunned, and didn't move, we called reception, and a young lad came to take it away, he put it in a laundry bag, I think he was more scared than the gull, then we seen a local vet's van come to the ship to take it away.   Always wondered how it fared, if it was released into the wild again.

Happy NEW Moon to you too :-)

A closer view of her

Sorry to be a ship bore LOL....   My two passions in life are Ospreys and Ships

• The ship is in harbour and it looks like the tenders have started.

• Diane/Mike: Just watching the Arcadia too.  Is it a bit early 7:20 UK time for the tenders?

MaryGK: Lucky you!

• Good morning Everyone. Rather more cloud this morning, after some glorious days. I met our daughter in London, on Tuesday, for her wedding dress fitting. Alterations needed !! I did buy my MOB outfit, but still need hat, shoes and bag.

I must read back now.

• Good Morning, All.

Still sunny here, Brenda.  Glad you got the outfit:  now for the fun part, finding the right hat, shoes & bag.  It can be problematical, even if you have a colour in mind.  I already had a suitable bag in the wardrobe for our Eldest's wedding this time last year, but went out and bought two more bags before deciding which one looked best! (and in the end, it was the cheapest one!)  They were all black, so will surely come in useful as evening bags in future....  Edit:  Now that I remember, I did at least take one back!

Fascinated by Mary's tales of cruising, and the good ship Arcadia - what a coincidence, Mary, as I photographed that ship in the Canaries a few years ago:  we were in Lanzarote in the Autumn and walked down to the harbour where Arcadia was parked.  We stood on the harbour for quite a while,and watched.  You may even have walked past me, as they were ferrying people off so that they could walk into the town of Playa Blanca!  (Of course, you may not have stopped there, as some ships only go to Tenerife before going on to Madiera).  Will have to go off and look at my photos to work out which year it was, it was around that time you mention.

Love your clever clowns, AQ!  And they are so big! Not tiny toys at all, but nice and chunky for little hands. I love the butcher's striped apron, and the camera!  Nice of you to include my poem. The girls are growing fast.

• OG, Take care of yourself and get yourself able to enjoy your next holiday. It is some years since I last saw the Tall Ships.

AQ, Wonderful photographs of your clowns and the children. I admire, even more now, the amount of work involved.

Hope the car work is completed soon for you.

Linda, I was sorry to read that your OH's cousin is going to visit again. You have all obviously made her too welcome on her previous visits, even though you were always fuming. I would extend your planned holiday for most of her visit.

I feel sorry for your OH and his back problems. It is so easy to forget when you start to feel so much better and then do something to aggravate the problem again. I have been doing that with my shoulder !! So annoying and frustrating.

Heather, So excited for you and your new kitchen. Hope clearing out the kitchen before the work starts won't be too much of a headache :-))

Annette, I checked the maps to make sure that the horrendous fires were not near to you. Sorry to read that one fire was started deliberately. So hard to understand the mentality of these people.
    Pleased to read that your daughter is improving so well. You don't seem to have much spare time to send in your hammock recently :-))

Diane, Hope the project is progressing well and that you will have some good news about your brother soon. 

I will suggest Doc Martin's solution to a friend, who is doing all her ear exercises, with no success,