WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY, AUGUST 14, 2016

Hope it's a good/better week for everyone.

• bjane -  You're very welcome.

• Not been replying to posts tonight because we have been out for dinner at Friends, where she & her OH were entertaining some old friends of ours who now live in the Midlands. Had a lovely chat and a gorgeous meal. We actually sat outside in the garden for drinks beforehand!

We enjoyed a Greek Salad with garlic bread, then special Lamb burgers with spices, and watercress salad and tiny fries, then finished with a tasty Pud containing raspberries in liqueur on top of sliced brioche, topped with meringue flashed under a hot grill. 

Tired to bed, now! More replies tomorrow.

• BrendaH: I had the battery in our CRV replaced by the Auto Club in April.  Two months later, the car wouldn't start. Called the Auto Club, they got it started, said it was fine - but the same thing happened two days later and then another two days later. In the meantime, the Honda dealer diagnosed a bad cell, but the Auto Club refused to replace it coz it tested OK on their little gizmos (it was a 60-month battery!). Finally took it to my regular mechanic who also diagnosed a bad cell and said he'd had problems with Auto Club batteries and suspected that, although a national brand, they weren't made to as high specifications as those made for the regular market. He also didn't think the Club's "gizmos" weren't particularly accurate. Anyway, I replaced it, then got a refund from the Auto Club.

Lindybird: Lovely dinner! Yum!

Diane: will have to investigate the Shetland cams...  Do wish we could do something to alleviate the stress.  :-(  Hugs to you.

Spent the day in the garden - filled the green bin but you'd never know it from looking around. Lots of tidying up still to do.

Take care all.

• Just looking at the Victoria Pier on the Shetland cam. The seagulls are up and about, plus two guys who are looking in a marine supply store!

• Unknown said:

Good to see you, Mary!

I can't even imagine that ship with 6,780 passengers. I think I'm too much of an introvert. LOL LOL I've spent time on the Gulf of Mexico in a tiny little fishing boat staring at the stars, but I've never been on a large ship.

The Marco Polo cruise ship visited Lerwick yesterday, and there's another one coming in tomorrow, I think. I haven't checked the Marine Traffic yet.

I really enjoy the Shetland webcams and listening to 60 North radio on that site. I like watching all of the small and large vessels coming and going, especially on the Victoria Pier cam. I love to watch the weather from Sumburgh Head Lighthouse. I like the seals on the Sea Level cam. I love the Aurora cam! And I just like watching the local people, the taxis, and the shops. I'm really drawn to Shetland. Some of the men look like my Dad, so I must have some ancestors from there. Some genetic pull to the place, I think. :-)

Nice to see you. Hope you're keeping well.

Hi Diane

When I first clicked on your link I couldn't quite fathom there being music with a webcam LOL.... then when I realised it was the radio, I thought to myself wow this is unique.     I will definitely be checking them out on a regular basis now, especially the Aurora cam, as I put a shortcut to them on my desktop.

I don't think I have ever seen one particular place with such an array of webcams all of such good quality.   It is a wonderful find Diane.

The Marco Polo is one of the old cruise ships, very small.   I took this photo of it last year.   Now I will be checking to see which ships will be visiting Lerwick from now on.     Thanks again :-)

Hope you are keeping well too Diane, so sorry to hear about your brother, such a stressful time for you.  Take Care. 

• Hi MaryGK: Hope you're doing okay.

• Hi Annette, yes doing fine.  Hope you are too.   This is just like old times, although we usually met on the LotL thread ha ha....   you will be heading to bed soon I guess.

• Mary: I'm watching the final series of Inspector Lewis while puttering online. What are you up to these days?

• Oh the usual Annette, still caravanning around mostly Scotland, but the Lake District too.  Mostly to places that I can visit the Osprey Centres, we are away about 100 nights each year in the caravan, and then do other holidays the rest of the year :-)      How has the whale watching season gone this year, are you still doing that.? 

• That's a long time away.  The Whale Count was the best ever this year; perhaps because the ocean was warmer than usual with more food and so they were closer in to shore and easier to see.  I also volunteered at the Wildlife Rescue Center here in town but only went once before family stuff came up that made it hard to schedule. Just now getting back into a routine.  Which osprey centers have you visited? Is your OH into them as much as you?