WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY, AUGUST 14, 2016

Hope it's a good/better week for everyone.

• The largest cruise ship ever to visit the Shetland Islands is in the Lerwick Harbor right now. It's kind of fascinating to see. You can see it on several of the webcams. (Watching the Shetland webcams calms me down.)

• Morning all:

AQ:  Truly impressed by your knitting accomplishments, which are completely beyond my capabilities!  You're knitting family heirlooms.  

dibnlib: Party sounds lovely.

Lindybird: Didn't realize you'd married a farmer. :-)  Lovely tribute to bjane.

Diane: That's great quality video from Lerwick. Thanks Looks like they're loading to leave. What a huge vessel! One of the comments on that page referred to it as a "floating petri dish." :-)   Webcams are a great escape - a living window on the world for housebound folks.

Still enjoying (and I mean enjoying) below-normal temps this summer.

Take care all.

• Unknown said:

The largest cruise ship ever to visit the Shetland Islands is in the Lerwick Harbor right now. It's kind of fascinating to see. You can see it on several of the webcams. (Watching the Shetland webcams calms me down.)

Diane

According to the Cruise Ship schedules it is Celebrity Silhouette that is the ship in Lerwick Harbour.  It is scheduled to leave at 5 pm tonight.  

Previous Port of Call was Belfast, and next port of call is Invergordon. 

She may be the largest to visit Lerwick at 122,400 gross tons. she carries 2,885 passengers but is small compared to the behemoths of Royal Caribbean who launched the largest ship at sea this year which when full carries 6780 passengers and 2300 Crew, not a ship I ever fancy being on LOL....    

Very interesting webcams, I hadn't known they existed, so thanks for mentioning them, and thanks to a friend who gave me the heads up about your post. :-) 

• Linda - I am speechless! (My family would tell you that's a rare thing).

Thank you so much...

• AQ - I have never progressed past knitting a simple throw, so I am loving your knitting prowess. These will be handed down for generations.

• Good to see you, Mary!

I can't even imagine that ship with 6,780 passengers. I think I'm too much of an introvert. LOL LOL I've spent time on the Gulf of Mexico in a tiny little fishing boat staring at the stars, but I've never been on a large ship.

The Marco Polo cruise ship visited Lerwick yesterday, and there's another one coming in tomorrow, I think. I haven't checked the Marine Traffic yet.

I really enjoy the Shetland webcams and listening to 60 North radio on that site. I like watching all of the small and large vessels coming and going, especially on the Victoria Pier cam. I love to watch the weather from Sumburgh Head Lighthouse. I like the seals on the Sea Level cam. I love the Aurora cam! And I just like watching the local people, the taxis, and the shops. I'm really drawn to Shetland. Some of the men look like my Dad, so I must have some ancestors from there. Some genetic pull to the place, I think. :-)

Nice to see you. Hope you're keeping well.

• Hello to everyone. Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread and posting. Too much stress and distraction. Best wishes to you all.

• Annette not sure awaiting results from vets they thought it was possibly cancer of the pancerius not sure of spelling

• Hi. A very busy few days for us. Our car wouldn't start for us on Friday morning for OH's hospital appointment. A neighbour took us and we took an expensive taxi home in the afternoon. Called the AA out to look at the car, which then meant a drive to the garage on Saturday morning to have a new starter battery fitted. The battery is guaranteed for five years, so it was very annoying that our's failed after two years. Took the car to be cleaned, plus a complete valet inside. It was so dirty from the sand and dirt from the building site. Spent a very busy and tiring day, today,  helping with a bowls tournament, held at our club.

Rather worried about OG, even though she said not to be.

Thank you Annette for starting the week. It was good that your OH dealt with grandson's bank, while you were stuck in the traffic hold up.

AQ. I bow to your patience and expertise with your knitting needles. I can knit but I have never attempted anything so intricate.

Bjane, So good to hear from you and to hear that your daughter is improving.

Alicat, Sorry that your much loved, young dog has died.

Diane, It is a miracle that you are able to cope with your project, while worrying about your brother. {{HUGS }}

Dibnliib, I do hope that your OH's hospital appointment arrives quicker than you expect.

Linda, Sorry your OH is still suffering with his back. Even I have learnt that it is pointless telling him to take it easy until his back is better. LOL

• Unknown said:
    The battery is guaranteed for five years, so it was very annoying that our's failed after two years.

That's quite shocking.  My car battery died earlier this year....it was the car's original battery and lasted for a magnificent 14 years!  I was told that more recently manufactured batteries have a much shorter life.....not exactly environmentally friendly.

Alicat, it's lovely to see you back but I wish the circumstances were much happier.  I'm so sorry about your dog.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.