THE LOCH GARTEN OSPREY GABFEST FOR MAY, 2016

I think I will start MAY, 2016 quite simply with a current snippet of the LOCH GARTEN NEST with EJ quietly incubating her three eggs.

• Morning June. Great start to May and alls well with the Loch Garten nest :) All the strife is at Dyfi this year! Last year it was LG and site B at Rutland!

• I remember Tiger telling me a few years back he waits until the 1st May before a breeding adult osprey is regarded as "Missing in Action". Well since then I have regarded this as also a milestone and today is the 1st May.

THE FIRST OF MAY

This year has been a good year for returns as we know them but we have had a big loss with 03(97) and his partner.

Others I note are Katrine at one of my local nests and also the female from last season at Kielder Nest 2.

On the positive note SOMEONE ELSE MOVED IN FROM FAR AWAY.

• Today I had a rest from work in Ferrol and went with a host to Cecebre between Ferrol and La Coruna only a 15 minute ride.

When I saw the size of the reservoir I thought the chance of seeing an osprey was going to improbable and to see a particular osprey more improbable.

It was a 15 km all the way round the reservoir.

Well I did not see the osprey I wanted to but then I spend much time at home doing the same until lady luck plays her hand one day.

However it was a great area with such a diversity of birds and enjoyed watching a Black kite above us, Spoonbills, Great White Egrets, Herons and I have seen my first Firecrest such a wee bird and so colourful. I had to be told it was a Firecrest.

• Even better we went to la Coruna for a walk along the promenade as my host had his little six year old daughter with him and she wanted an ice cream.

Look what we saw along the promenade. I know many of you like lighthouses. This one dates back to the year 200 and is of origin when The Romans invaded Europe. It still works today and think it may be one of the oldest lighthouses in the world.

TOWER OF HERCULES - LA CORUNA.

• Pity these cannot be "shared"  However, unless you object quickly, I will post them on my facebook page before the day is out.  There are several people there who will appreciate the oldest litehouse, etc just as I do.

Glad you are finding time to enjoy your stop in Spain and to post here on  The Gabfest.

• On second thought, Keith,  you could do me a favor and post these lovely lighthouses on my Facebook page yourself.  :)

• Good morning all. Keith love the lighthouse and amazing its so old because it looks in such fine condition its looks fairly modern.

Id always hoped mr Rutland was just late but had fears however as he was usually the first to arrive home, also had not been seen fishing at the trout farm. A very sad loss indeed :(

A good friend on here also said she  feared he was lost a while ago

• I was unaware that Katrine had not returned either. Many famous celebrities have died this year!

Things are looking good for EJ and Odin this year hope it stays that way. However upsetting when some do not return I think the future is generally looking good for the osprey population!

• 58Willow - KATRINE had a Green Ring 011.

The two birds on the nest at Loch Ard with two eggs are both unringed. The male is believed to be Drunkie.

Once I get home I will have to get over to The Lodge and also to Loch Ard (its only 20 minutes from my house)to have a look and ask around about Katrine. I don't think she has appeared at any time but some reports were a little misleading.

• When is the first chick due at Loch Garten?  They recently told us on the Main Blog, but I forgot and now I can't find it.  I'm thinking May 5th???