Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 20 March 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY SPRING EQUINOX!

Last week's Chat thread is here.

Everyone have a wonderful week!

• I am watching a pair of blackbirds, frantically flying into our back garden hedge, with twigs. Obviously building a nest. Also two robins, unusually, mating on our side fence. Spring has definitely sprung.

• OH tells me that crows are ripping small branches off our fruit trees to make nests. He thinks that he saw a small bird going into one of the nesting boxes.

I have been watching ANNETTEs eagles. The second one has now hatched and it is quite amusing watching the younger one trying to get its head in the right position to get food! Kept falling over backwards.
  • Margo: I'm sending love and wishing you strength.

• Diane: That's a lovely card for Margo.

• diane thank you for the beautiful card.

Just  back from a visit to my much loved sister. It is her birthday tomorrow and I had got a special gift for her and wanted to see her open it.

Enjoyed our steaks last night but no starter or sweet as we would have been too full. 

Hope you have all enjoyed your weekend.

love Margo x

• Today was definitely puppy day. After meeting Bella, we then bumped into Bailey. Bailey is a 14 week old miniature Schnauzer. Sadly of course this means they no longer have Dee Dee.

• Margo -  Glad you enjoyed your steaks, and had a good time visiting your sister. I hope you got just a little of the lovely sunshine we had here today, which was unexpected. The forecast was just for it to be dry & cloudy, but mid morning the sun popped out.  We even sat in the garden at sis in laws for a while!

• I am persona non grata in this house because I am watching the very last episode of Downton Abbey. Again. Sorry.

• Good evening.  Wall to wall sunshine here from dawn to dusk – amazing day!  Went to church this morning, came home to cook and then after our dinner and diaries session we worked in the garden.  I was collecting and planting Heuchera cuttings as the plants have gone very “leggy” so we decided to try again.  OH mowed again to remove the wispy bits which had been lifted by the scarifier – next session a second rolling, then spike and feed.  After tea we were out in dim light watering - me in the greenhouse and him using the hose for all the container plants.  J has not been at all well with a really bad cold – we don’t see eye to eye on colds as he uses over-the-counter medications, and I say that, by suppressing the symptoms, they prolong, or even worsen, the virus; I don’t think he will get to work tomorrow.

Thanks to Diane for starting the week and welcoming spring.

Linda – I hope you enjoyed the family gathering at S-i-law’s.  Great that you could sit outside there.

Heather – my steam oven is not the same as the ones they sell now.  They now make steam fan ovens which combine the two cooking methods to stop food drying out (or something like that – haven’t looked at recent catalogues) whereas mine is a plain steam oven – about the size of a large microwave – which cooks by straightforward steaming.  Mine is fitted above the main oven, which is a fan oven with a grilling element in the top.  My combination microwave is not built in – and I don’t use it for other than microwaving because I don’t want it to get dirty!

Dibnlib – pleased you (and, I assume) Benson have enjoyed your day of puppy encounters! 

Brenda – I hope your weather improved – we were really cosy in church this morning – had to take my gilet off.  All our birds seem to be finding partners – and even Oystercatchers flew over today (noisily calling to stay together) on their way to the nesting site at the local tip!

Margo – pleased you both enjoyed the steaks last evening, and that you were able to visit your sister today for her birthday.  All the best for tomorrow’s platelets.

Looks like another gardening day tomorrow – maybe I can plant up the two remaining alpine troughs which were abandoned in the autumn rains – usually okay to move things if they have a good “rootball”.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Heather B said:

I am persona non grata in this house because I am watching the very last episode of Downton Abbey. Again. Sorry.

Don't apologise......I saved the last one and rewatched it a couple of weeks later. There was so much to take in, all in one episode!  And I still have a recording of the last episode of War & Peace!