Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), January 3, 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is HERE.

Saturday evening was perihelion, the time when Earth reaches its closest point to the Sun for this year. Hello, Sun!

I hope everyone has a wonderful first full week of 2016!

Earth and sun via ISS Expedition 13 / NASA
NASA government photo: Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Diane: Trust me, if I ever want to know the facts about anything, you'll be the go-to person! :-)  I'm just amazed by Heather's generosity.

• Unknown said:
    All: I was only trying to help Heather. :-) It must be stressful for a non-vegan to host a gathering of vegans, especially those adhering to a diet prescribed by theological tradition.

I thought you did magnificently.  I just find the idea of trying to live on such a restrictive diet absolutely horrifying - you'd have thought Heather would have been offered more help from the people living on it.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Good Morning, All.   Drier here, thank goodness. Our garden is very soggy now.  But on the other hand, I can't remember another Christmas season in the whole of our marriage of over 40 years, where the wreath on the front door has had a hanging basket next to it with a geranium in it, still in flower!!

Went to bed with the remains of a glass of white wine, but it can't have agreed with me as I had a poor night's sleep and will have to take a zzz later on today, to catch up.

Much to do, have to go to shops in nearby town to collect some Sale items bought online. Also plan to start taking down our decs today. Hope Everyone has a good day, especially Margo.

• Morning, Lindy.  Sorry to hear you didn't sleep well - I hope you manage to catch up today.

In the meantime I've been posting more photos - I got these just before Christmas.  Click on these two handsome males to see more:

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Good morning, Rita - glad you like them!

• Thank you DIANE, I have only just gone online, shut down fairly early last night.

Honestly, I am not generous in doing Sheanas funeral food. She delegated me the job years ago ( yes, she really did !!) She never hesitated to speak her mind or make odd requests. A bit of an eccentric who complained one year that the peapods I had grown in her garden didn't have enough peas in them. The catalogue had promised ten in each pod,apparently! She was quite obsessed with measurements and numbers,was a draughtswoman during the War. When I was making seed drills she would stand at one end and squint at them and usually told me that the drill wasn't dead straight. I can still picture her in her old gardening raincoat and Wellington boots giving me instructions. She was the sort of lady that was either liked or loathed,due to her forthrightness.  

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that catering for up to 15 was a doddle! It is only a finger buffet and my eldest daughter and her daughter are coming over to help. As you know we are a large family and used to churning out food for the masses:-) Once I know what exactly we are going to make. Which takes me neatly back to thanking DIANE for the links to info. OG will,I know be horrified at my tardiness. She would have had a menu planned days ago. How I wish  for some of her brilliant organizational skills.

Sorry about your bad night, LINDY. I hope that you catch up with sleep.

Thanks everyone for posts and pictures x

• Heather B said:
    She never hesitated to speak her mind or make odd requests. A bit of an eccentric who complained one year that the peapods I had grown in her garden didn't have enough peas in them. The catalogue had promised ten in each pod,apparently! She was quite obsessed with measurements and numbers,was a draughtswoman during the War. When I was making seed drills she would stand at one end and squint at them and usually told me that the drill wasn't dead straight. I can still picture her in her old gardening raincoat and Wellington boots giving me instructions. She was the sort of lady that was either liked or loathed,due to her forthrightness.  

I actually think she sounded very likeable!  You must certainly have known exactly where you stood with her.

• I think that you are also very forthright, CLARE if I remember correctly :-)  I'm the same, which is probably why I could appreciate Sheana for the person she was. I'm going to be a bit forthright just now, S was extremely unusual for a Highland woman of her generation. When I first came here to live I thought that everyone was utterly charming. Until I eventually realised that they thought the same things as me but didn't say anything whereas I usually put my foot in it and said the things that everyone else thought LOL. There are a load more incomers like me here now, so the charm has become more diluted :-))) That may be or may not be a good thing. Depends on your point of view.

• We had just put our wellies on and about to dogwalk when OG phoned. It was nice to speak to her but had to cut the chat short so we could head out. Wished her well for Thurs anyway. After walk and Tesco we thee set off for Brodie. Struggled to find a parking space, but managed. Another walk for Benson and off to hit the shop. We both had a delicious salad lunch and came home with a sale t shirt and shirt, and a no sale fancy dog bowl (with cartoon pics of animals round the side- ok he didn't need it, but I liked it) and a door mat with a blue tit on it. 

Laughed myself silly when I saw this on facebook