Osprey Chat Thread for August, September & October 2015

It seems only yesterday that we were waiting on the ospreys to arrive and now some of them are probably winging their way south. By the end of August most of them will be gone.

Odin and EJ have continued to thrill as they play out their failed season. Hopefully they will both be back in 2016

It has been disappointing that Breagha stayed in France rather than come home to say hello to mum and dad. 

Not so with White 14 at Bassenthwaite. After an incredible journey he arrived home to Bassenthwaite and was photographed. A new superhero is born. 

All the young ospreys fledged at Loch of the Lowes but FR4 did take her time.

Also a complete fledge at Manton Bay but once again the third chick taking its time.

No such delay at Dyfi. All three chicks fledged fledged in less than four hours with two almost going simultaneously. 

Meanwhile the late chicks at Glaslyn continue to grow and and are winning all the cute birds competitions.

I am afraid that it will soon be time to start looking at the countdown clocks. 

• I imagine it is one of the many nests that Friends of the Ospreys have errected to encourage birds to nest. They also refer to a male from a nearby nest in Central Wales whos eggs are about to hatch. This shortens the elimination. I am sure they will be monitering these nests especially when a known bird is sitting tight.

Our local forrestry conservationist and class ringer for the area a few miles down the road from me moniters approximately 24 local osprey nests. Two have VC cameras which you know about in The Trossachs - others he has trap cameras funded by the forrestry to snap activity on the nest and others he will just moniter behaviour and am sure he has a mirror pole as most ringers do. I shall ask him.

I have No Reason to dispute the 2015 update posted by Friends of the Ospreys and also No Reason to dispute DOP view of the matter. Just wish they would work together and report facts they are certain of and why would Friends report such if they were not certain. They are not in the habbit of Hans Christian Anderson selling Fairytales like some VC do.

• DOP on FB, have replied that " B24 did not lay any eggs."

• Unknown said:
    I have No Reason to dispute the 2015 update posted by Friends of the Ospreys and also No Reason to dispute DOP view of the matter. Just wish they would work together and report facts they are certain of and why would Friends report such if they were not certain.

Well one or other must be wrong. 

• Unknown said:

DOP on FB, have replied that " B24 did not lay any eggs."

Brenda - I asked the question of interpretation and DOP have kindly replied to my question which I accept.

I have also posed a similar question to friends of the ospreys and as yet have not replied.

As Tiger says one has to be wrong. i am just wondering if there is any friction between the two organisations.

• If Friends of the Ospreys are the group watching over the nest occupied by Dai Dot and his mate then there are one or two of them who are very hostile to Dyfi and anyone associated with Dyfi.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I am not sure which organisation is taking any responsibility of the nest at Llyn Clwedog Reservoir. The nest was built 10 years ago the year FOO formed so the nest platform could possibly have been erected by FOO.

I do know FOO have a big influence at B/M Nest in Snowdonia and also assisted BGGW in restoration of the Glaslyn nest last year.

I also note so far can not find any acknowledgements to FOO or reference to FOO in the book Ospreys in Wales by Emyr Evans so there may possibly be a friction between the two organisations.

• A very interesting reply for you, Keith, from Paul Wlw, on FB.

• Brenda, For those not on Facebook, will you or someone please post a summary of Paul Wlw's reply?  Thanks.

Kind regards, Ann

• Ann - It is difficult to transcript but will attempt to post the converstaion I had with DOP including their reply and Paul WLw,s reply.

Think it worked and readable.

• Keith Thanks for posting this conversation from FaceBook. I too wonder what the idea is of constructing this story? Maybe just a mistake