Daily Update ~ Loch Garten Nest ~ Tuesday, 12 May 2015

It is a huge privilege to start this new thread, especially after a day like yesterday.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my mother, father, all ospreys worldwide and Tiger for drawing in his claws and stepping back.

I wish us all a less confused day of watching and attempting to interpret, and EJ and Odin the very best luck in the world in their defence of the most famous Osprey nest in the world.

Greetings all fellow 'midnighters'.

• Thank you for starting the latest DU thread CRinger. You need to be careful as it might become a regular chore. 

• Will today be another record? I doubt it but you never know. 

• I can't believe we are still only on Page 1.:P

Has everyone fell asleep?? :-D

• Dozing intermittently! Sorry!

• No deep slumbers, but all seems fairly calm, although still a little breezy

©2015  RSPB Loch Garten & Carnyx Wild

• 2:05. All is quiet. I am at one with EJ; we are both now dozing intermittently. No sorries this time = we have both had far too much excitement for 1 day.

• CRinger said:
    Dozing intermittently!

And so is our dear EJ.

And why not after such a day. I could only look in occasionally to see the pages piling up. So many youngsters arriving and feeling full of their oats, I would guess. She is still brooding the "phantom egg" as Lindybird or Lmac put it I think. Instinctual habit? Or perhaps it is her way of advertising that it is still her nest both to the intruders and also to Odin. I gather she ate a couple pieces of fish yesterday, so that is good. And of course, the question remains, is Odin nearby and was it really him on the nest most of the time in the end? It looked like him, but I cannot be sure this year.

So lovely to see so many posters adding comments, pics and observations and theories now. Always something unexpected happens even the veterans could never have foreseen, but a newcomer may report! Very exciting. I always find this is an instructional activity about life in more ways than one.

• Thank you for starting the new DU, CRINGER, what a lovely surprise!

Good morning, TIGER, thank you for ending the old DU ;-)  I expect you've done the sensible thing by now and retired to bed to strengthen for another day's fray :-)

Unknown said:
    ...something unexpected happens... the veterans could never have foreseen, but a newcomer may report! Very exciting.

Hiya CC, you've highlighted one of the virtues of the DU.  It's been great to see so many unfamiliar names, too.

The wind sounds strong and blustery and EJ has her head down.  The glare could be worse.  That's the status quo.

• scylla said:
    The wind sounds strong and blustery

Even since I typed that it's got louder and blusterier!  But I think it sounds worse than it is, as there is not a lot of movement on the nest, just some grasses at the back fluttering between freezes ;-)  I hope that's the case anyway, as it sounds really bad.

• It has sounded very blustery! And thundery too. But that does not seems to get EJ's beak outta the nest. Poor thing.