This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DAILY UPDATE ~ Loch Garten nest ~ Saturday, 09 May 2015

Yesterday afternoon (according to those on the scene - it was among a lot of detail that we missed due to severe cam problems), the orange-chested male intruder "OC" dropped a fish onto the nest, and after a starving EJ took it away to eat it the carnage began.

In brief!

Anyone looking?

The orange-eyed destroyer.  (I have to say, unfairly I know, that he has none of the "gorgeousness" of Odin the Magnificent.)

EJ returned with the tail-end of the fish, which she continued to eat despite the scene that greeted her:

EJ cleared the ground and proceeded to incubate the one egg that appears to be left intact:

The threat to the surviving egg is great:

OC won't have it easy, he may not even prevail in the longer term - the other intruders are still on the case:

To cap it all after a long and harrowing day, it seemed that EJ was disturbed, probably by the pine marten, just before midnight:

• It's certainly very sad watching EJ in the nestcup with nothing to incubate. To be honest, I can't feel any malice towards OC

He's only doing what any male Osprey would do after taking a nest that already has eggs on it. If he can prove himself in terms of food provision and defence, EJ will accept him and things will get back on track.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Hazel b said:

Closing the thread 

• Harry said:

The 'watcher' knows his distinctive look? Are you pulling my leg? Have you seen an osprey fish before? They are up to their neck in water and wet, you cannot see anything distinct other than that they are an osprey. I have some photos of ospreys fishing at Spey Bay if you would like to see? I'm not being rude, just discussing what I'm reading here. No biggie.

With all due respect Harry, I think you should not be belittling the abilities of some who have used this forum for ages, and know far more about the Osprey than I, and from the sounds of it, you too.

Yes, there are those here, who have visited Loch Garten, and those who do do volunteer work. There also people here who are so interested in Osprey in particular, they have even got to know their individual looks and habits.

Nobody is overly criticising the work of LG, whether staff or volunteers.
    Please keep things in perspective. Everyone is rather distraught right now, after the recent LG nest events.

I guess, one thing the last few days have revealed, is natures life isn't all fairy tale endings.
    Ask any farmer, and he can likely easily tell you a few stories of  realism.

• Hazel b said:

Starting a new thread at   Daily Update ~ Loch Garten Nest ~ Sunday, 10 May 2015

Closing the thread 

[/quote]

• Please can I remind you all of our terms and conditions and to treat each other with the respect you would except to receive yourself. As this thread has become disruptive, I have taken the decision to lock it.