This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DAILY UPDATE ~ Loch Garten nest ~ Saturday, 09 May 2015

Yesterday afternoon (according to those on the scene - it was among a lot of detail that we missed due to severe cam problems), the orange-chested male intruder "OC" dropped a fish onto the nest, and after a starving EJ took it away to eat it the carnage began.

In brief!

Anyone looking?

The orange-eyed destroyer.  (I have to say, unfairly I know, that he has none of the "gorgeousness" of Odin the Magnificent.)

EJ returned with the tail-end of the fish, which she continued to eat despite the scene that greeted her:

EJ cleared the ground and proceeded to incubate the one egg that appears to be left intact:

The threat to the surviving egg is great:

OC won't have it easy, he may not even prevail in the longer term - the other intruders are still on the case:

To cap it all after a long and harrowing day, it seemed that EJ was disturbed, probably by the pine marten, just before midnight:

• Night Cam has come on at 21:54.

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• Hi :) Thanks for all the updates etc.  Its certainly been a sad day for EJ, with the last of her eggs destroyed.  I'm not convinced another clutch can be laid this late in the season,  that far north. However, I'm happy to be proved wrong. Pleased to hear EJ has had something to eat. I think it's time for OC to step up to the mark, and prove himself. A few fish deliveries would certainly help.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• They both left the nest about  10mins ago.  I thought maybe EJ is going to spend the night away from the nest, but she has just returned and settled in the cup :-((

• "Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

• It is quite sad seeing her settled in the nest cup, when we know there is nothing to incubate.

I have nothing but praise for the reporting on events here, all done with sincerity and a passion for the subject matter.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Harry, I don't think this is the place for you.  You are clearly a thoroughly nasty piece of work.  

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Limpy said:

[/quote]

Oh 'eck, I've made a silly mistake in my comment, saying the Weds fish was 0705 instead of 1905.  Oh well :-/

You lot DO make mistakes too then? You could do better too. I thought at this sad time I would find some like minded people to discuss this with but obviously not. I'm out of here.

[/quote]Hi Harry.  This is a friendly reminder that on this thread we all respect both the ospreys and each other.  The way you have responded to Scylla here does not seem friendly.  There's an old saying........think before you speak (or type in this case).  Please show some respect.

[/quote] Hi Limpy, nice to meet you. I respect all ospreys and most people. I was just alarmed at the comments made by some people here (not all), and having been at Loch Garten this week I'm amazed at the way people on here talk, almost behind their backs when they are doing such a grand job. And are incredibly knowledgeable. People here seem a little ungrateful. Moffer said Loch Garten could do better. I said scylla could do better. If both these comments are disrespectful then hasn't Moffer been disrespectful in the same way that I maybe have been to scylla? Sorry if I have upset anyone but maybe we shall just have to agree to disagree.
  • Harry try reading this.

Hi Harry.  This is a friendly reminder that on this thread we all respect both the ospreys and each other.  The way you have responded to Scylla here does not seem friendly.  There's an old saying........think before you speak (or type in this case).  Please show some respect.

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman