WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY JANUARY 11, 2015

Happy New Week all: OH and I are off to see The Imitation Game tonight, then will pick up dinner from our favorite Chinese restaurant on our way home.

Heather: You're not living a sheltered life, or if you are, we're all there with you (and happy to be so). Seems like bad language and a general lack of civility are endemic these days - it's so depressing. And to think the English language is so rich yet people have to use the "last resort" words first. :-(

Clare: My friend's daughter is a Downs Syndrome adult now and still needs supervision. It must be a huge worry, especially as parents age. Didn't know it could also mean heart problems as well.

Brenda: Hope the Quiz was fun.

Thanks all for posts! Take care.

• Good Morning Everyone. A frosty morning here too. It rained most of yesterday and then cleared mid afternoon, in time for a clear night.

Dibnlib, Thank you for such lovely photographs, although I am sure it felt so cold on your walk.

AQ, J & L are so lovely. I can see why they must be so heavy to carry and nurse, though. I am glad Annette told us, what MAMIL means. I have seen some 'unfortunate ' sights here, but good for them, if they do actually ride a bike.

Linda, I hope your OH's ear is causing him less pain this morning.

Wendy, I love Sykes too. Sorry the weather means that you can't enjoy a walk with Daisy.

Lynette, I really do hope you are recovering from your injuries.

We always left the radio on for our dog.

My sister was telling me that a few days ago when they had some snow and ice, the road was gritted in the evening, which was really needed,  only to be followed, early the next morning by the road sweeper, which removed all the grit from a still icy road. !!!

• Hello all

I loved seeing the pics, LYNETTE and AQ and by gosh, those are healthy looking babies. I remember that AQ you said that J was smaller (?) and maybe due to her digestive problems. I am no expert but maybe she should have been on medication sooner. I know that your daughter's doc was unwilling, but my youngest granddaughter was on meds for reflux very early in life.

ANNETTE you asked me about funding for care homes. To the best of my knowledge if you have no dependents and more than about £23K in the bank then you have to fund yourself.Your house value is included. Obviously there are ways and means to avoid the charges, trust funds, etc and some people, I believe, sign the house over to their children before they themselves need care in order to avoid the charges. However, if the authorities suspect that there has been a definite action like this, made to avoid charges and not done several years beforehand then they can take action. I have not researched this, am speaking off the top of my head. There will probably be people on here who have better and more up to date information. The other thing is that we are in Scotland which has its own rules about things. Your question was what happens when monies run out. I would like to think that the fees would be taken up by the powers that be and I am sure that they are. Whether the person gets to stay in the Home they are in or gets sent to another, possibly cheaper one is probably in the lap of the gods.

In Denmark, taxes are incredibly high when you are working over 40% but they have a wonderful care system for the elderly. Very cheap and the Home that our old friend is in is - wonderful!! His own self contained flatlet in the Home and all necessary care provided.

I may have said before, but it is usual for wives in Denmark to work outside the home and there is cheap childcare, so they work hard but benefit later in life.

LINDA I hope that your OH's ear is healing well and that you are able to get him to take painkillers!!

OG - I have quite a collection of cookbooks and to be honest, just use most of them for ideas, plus I like reading them! However, every now and then I first ask children if they want any and if not, send them to a charity shop. We have a certain number of bookcases here and will not buy any more, so a clear out is needed occasionally. Not just cookbooks.

Sorry no more personal replies, brain dead today:-(( Grandson Callum is going away on a week's course connected with his apprenticeship - leaving tomorrow by air from Inverness. Lots of stress and whatever connected with packing and everything. He has never flown alone, before. He is just 16.
  • Thanks for the kind thoughts on my OH's sore ear. It seems to be healing, as although we can't take the bandage off yet, its less painful today. He's been wearing my fetching flowered showercap to keep it dry when washing! And his friends have been teasing him about his appearance. He goes midweek to have the stitches taken out.
  • Heather Thinking of your grandson and hoping all goes well for him.
  • Thank you LINDY. He is a bit too laid back for me, when it comes to college work and I hope that he fully realises how important it is that he does well at the theory side of things as well as the practical!!

• My mother was in care from having her first stroke in 2000, until her death in 2008. Whilst in hospital, your pension is taken back to cover costs, after about 6 weeks. When you go into care, you may be in a Home where others pay nothing at all, but if you have more than 23,000 pounds in assets, you will be expected to contribute something towards costs. My mother watched her & my fathers careful savings dwindle ever smaller for several years, then when she reached the 22,000 pounds remaining, she did not have to pay. The care you receive in the Home is exactly the same for all, whether you pay or not. My mother paid nearly 600 pounds a month plus of course her pension, and the local Authority paid the balance. A friend of ours paid for a very grand Home locally, more than 1,000 pounds a week!! My Uncle lived in a small house, worried about his heating bills, didn't even replace a carpet which was flood damaged ( bare boards in the bedroom!) and had an ancient TV when actually, TV was his only remaining pleasure. When he died he left not only a valuable property ( popular commute area) but several large savings accounts which he had because he seemed to think he would have to pay for Care....... Similarly, a second cousin of mine spent & gave away every penny she had! "They will HAVE to look after me" she chortled!! And so they did.
  • Heather / Linda, I thought they also took into consideration, the value of your home. I have read of children having to sell their parents home to pay for the residential homes.

• BRENDA/LINDY I think that if there is a spouse etc living in the family home then it cannot be sold but yes I believe many children have to sell the family home to fund care home fees for a surviving parent. It does cause some controversy at times that people who save nothing and own no property get the same care as those who have been prudent/fortunate. But that's the way it seems to work in the UK. Sheana lived quite frugally and saved for years and years because she knew that she would probably have to pay for her care one day. But she never realised that it would cost as much as it does.

A friend of ours looked after her husband at home until almost the bitter end because they had too much money in the bank and for whatever reason, she wanted to keep it there!She was in her eighties and couldn't really cope but by jings she was determined not to pay care home charges.
  • Thanks Heather. I do know of a family, who are selling their mother's home, in order to pay for a private home. It costs £1200 a week. I have visited the mother and it is like a luxury hotel.