WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY JANUARY 11, 2015

Happy New Week all: OH and I are off to see The Imitation Game tonight, then will pick up dinner from our favorite Chinese restaurant on our way home.

Heather: You're not living a sheltered life, or if you are, we're all there with you (and happy to be so). Seems like bad language and a general lack of civility are endemic these days - it's so depressing. And to think the English language is so rich yet people have to use the "last resort" words first. :-(

Clare: My friend's daughter is a Downs Syndrome adult now and still needs supervision. It must be a huge worry, especially as parents age. Didn't know it could also mean heart problems as well.

Brenda: Hope the Quiz was fun.

Thanks all for posts! Take care.

• Good Morning, All. Cold here, and probably even worse outside, in the wind. Annette - Aaah, poor little guinea pig wondering where he was! At least you were able to take good care of him.
  • Clare - No, not seen it but it sounds good. Is Limpy still volunteering at Minsmere? Or do they do less of that kind of thing in Winter? Can we have some pics of your own lovely birds on here, again? I got the book about The Rutland Ospreys for Christmas, but haven't had time to dip into it yet.
  • My OH had a minor procedure on his left ear yesterday - he had a hard growth on the edge which the Consultant said was caused by years of being outside in all weathers when he was a young farmer. They gave him a local anaesthetic and cut it out, so now he's got a small bandage. This morning he has some pain as the jabs he had have worn off, so I've had to nag him to take some paracetamol!
  • Lindybird said:
    Clare - No, not seen it but it sounds good. Is Limpy still volunteering at Minsmere? Or do they do less of that kind of thing in Winter? Can we have some pics of your own lovely birds on here, again? I got the book about The Rutland Ospreys for Christmas, but haven't had time to dip into it yet.

Yes, he's still volunteering - he can't get enough of the place.  He's also booked on two upcoming workshops - one on otters and one on badgers.  This is so good for him - he is even reading books about otters (he hates reading with a passion!).

You'll love the Rutland Water book - I found it really useful in going through all of the different ringed birds.  I get in a right old muddle when birds are only referred to by their rings.

Do you mean you'd like to see photos of our seven birds at home or what we've seen out and about lately?  By the way the cockatiels have had another session this morning.......well, it keeps them active!!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I meant the birds at home, Clare - good to hear that they're keeping fit & active! ;-)
  • When we had turtles, they always had to be near the TV as they loved to watch, especially cartoons! I think we are all a little "mad" when it comes to our pets.

• My mother used to leave the radio on for her budgerigar when she went out as he hated silence.  Sadly she died a few years ago and we now have him - he now has three other budgies to keep him company and no longer needs music.  It should be mentioned, though, that when I play music all four of the budgies sing along joyfully!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• We had a Parrot and a budgerigar and always left the lights and radio on for them when we went out!

• LINDY  hope OH is feeling better now.

CLARE Saw a write up about that David Atteborough prograame and was dischuffed to see it is on Sky which we don't have.

A very cold walk at Nairn beach this aft. We followed this with a hearty lunch at Brodie and a bit of retain therapy in the sales.

Benson loves watching tv, esp if dogs or meerkats are on. We have always left the radio on for all our dogs when we go out.

LINDY   Do look forward to hearing about your quest for a dog.

Haven't tasted the new creme egg, but here is what Snoopy thinks

• Quite a lot of sunshine and minor flurries of snow, but J had a slow journey home as it snowed a lot between Dumfries and the western end of Annan.  OH and I went to inspect a new dental surgery today, and will go there after our clinic closes in April.  We were treated so courteously and shown all the facilities.

PS still not snowing here - just wet rain.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!