Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey Topics), 21 December 2014

Happy new week and happy solstice!

Last week's Chat Thread is here.

For most of us, today is the Winter Solstice. Welcome back to the Sun! With the return of the light, I'd like to wish all of my dear friends on this thread a happy holiday season and a new year blessed with joy, abundance, good health, serenity, and love!

The solstice occurs on 21 December at:

2303 GMT
11:03 p.m. in the U.K.
6:03 p.m. in the eastern U.S.
3:03 p.m. in California

And for AQ: Happy Summer Solstice on 22 December at 9:33 a.m.

This solstice is special because it happens within 2 and a half hours of the New Moon. I'm seeing this cosmic event as a fresh start and a new beginning. Woo hoo!

The photo is of the Sun in the midst of a powerful and spreading coronal mass ejection. The photo was taken by the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory, a partnership of the European Space Agency and NASA.

The image is free for non-commercial use.
SOHO (ESA & NASA)

• DIANE: Thanks for starting the thread. Fabulous photo of the sun - rather relieved it's so far away!

Happy Solstice all.

• Diane, did you have to post that hot pic LOL. It’s 36 C in Adelaide today. Thank goodness it is only 32 here near the beach with sea breeze. Devilled almonds were on today‘s list but I shall fry them tomorrow when it should be cooler. OH came and helped pop the skins off. He now knows how tedious a task & why I mutter when he scoffs the finished product in no time at all. Now I must delve into obscure cupboards for the platters & dishes that only see the light-o-day every second year. Supermarket was open after church, so I have completed tomorrow’s shopping. I expect a leisurely day tomorrow.

Tis the season to be merry . . .
    It was a cold and misty Christmas morning in the very depth of winter after a heavy fall of snow and only one farmer and the minister managed to arrive at the church for the morning service.
    “Well”, said the clergyman “'I guess there's no point in having a service today.”
    “That's not how I see it,” said the farmer. “If only one cow turns up at feeding time, I still feed it.'

• Good Morning, and thank you to Diane for starting the thread again, in such dramatic fashion! Its good to think that now the late afternoons will gradually get lighter again. Quite dark this morning, so we awoke later than usual. Also, we were tired after exertions to find & distribute all the Christmassy trimmings last night. I know what you mean, AQ - some things only come out for special family gatherings. Sorry its getting hot again, there. Hope your daughter will be able to enjoy the season, in spite of having a lot of demands on her time!
  • Just read back on last weeks thread - We thought that Frankie might win Strictly as she was incredibly slick and danced so well throughout the series. I felt that Simon would have won in the past, but that this year there were so many highly talented and hard working contestants, any number could have won. I voted for Caroline & my OH voted for Frankie! Lynette - looks like the Eagles will be proud parents soon.
  • Good morning all -  really enjoyed 'Strictly' last night, all the finalists were excellent but voted for Caroline in the end as I thought her Show Dance was so beautiful and artistic and won me over!

Must get on with decorating the Tree and the whole house, still very behind with everything, I do not know what has happened to me this year!   Have to go online and add to my Tesco's delivery order, it is coming tomorrow.   Amber still being naughty, ate a packet of shortbread biscuits off the table while I was saying good-bye to a visitor yesterday.   Off into Inverness soon, have a good day all.

• We all seem to be behind this year, Rita!  Laughed at Amber's antics - everyone knows that Dogs Love Shortbread LOL!!

• "Is it Christmas yet??!"

"NO!!"

• Diane- what a marvellous picture of the sun, awe inspiring! Glad that the days will be lengthening now!

AQ loved the joke about the clergyman and the farmer!

• Hello all and thank you Diane (Sun goddess not moon goddess today!)

Its a miserable day here, we flew to Tesco for some more things, now must get stuck into tree and decorations. The dining room looks like a bomb has hit it.

I've been asked by Sheana to get a Big Card for the staff at the Home, no joy in Tesco but will look tomorrow, in Inverness.

Her Christmas jumper has been purchased and I will deliver it tomorrow. Not sewing a name label in, yet ;-) watch this space.

Chimney next door still pumping smoke, unfortunately it is a bungalow between two storey houses so chimney is low and smoke swirls around dipping across either our house or her other neighbour,depending on wind direction. I quite like the smell of woodsmoke but it obviously doesn't like me. Anyway, what did we do before antihistamines were invented?

Thanks for all your news,sorry no individual replies, I will get organised at some point in time!

Take care all

• A happy Winter Solstice to all our supporters from Stop the cull.