Satellite Tracked Ospreys (non-LG) Oct 2014 -

This topic replaces Satellite Tracked Ospreys (non-LG) Aug 2012-Sep 2014

The scope - following the travels of tracked ospreys "not from Loch Garten", either originating in the UK or overseas.  

Can I ask for some help in starting off the thread. If you are the first person to post about a bird in the restarted thread, can you please give the name of the project which is tracking it, and supply a link to the project website.

Many thanks - Sue  

• Mike B said:

Thank you jaydee. As Starling says they are great updates with amazing detail which no doubt takes ages to interpret.

Thanks, Mike. I expect you can make an educated guess how long dealing with the mass of data from GSM trackers takes. I check each day briefly just to make sure all is well but tend to go through several days at a time in detail looking for interesting/unusual events before doing a blog. I reckon that it took about 12 hours or so to do 5 days of analysis on the pair for yesterday's blog, make the images, write the blog etc. Paul spent time too, especially on the 'thermal soaring' part.

Although the GSM trackers have a downside if the wearer migrates to a point out of cell tower range (a potential issue for juveniles especially - it could be 2 years between e-mails, not one day!) I'd recommend them over traditional trackers because so much more is learnt.

• Jaydee I suspect that your explanation, which amazes me, will provide a further insight into the work involved for us all. Thank you again.  

• Unknown said:

Well UV didn't move on! Here is the latest on the Kielder juveniles UV and 7H.

Thank You once again Jaydee for such a detailed, interesting and absolutely fascinating blog.   The detail you are reporting is wonderful, like the drop in temperatures maybe indicating UV took a swim to cool down, and the rising to great heights in the thermals, is all fantastic reporting, and your long hours to produce them is very much appreciated.    

They both look very settled, long may that last and they both stay safe.  

• I concur with everyone, jaydee.  Your blogs are wonderfully informative and highly entertaining.  I love the additional contributions from Paul too.  UV and 7H are doing so well, long may it last.  Thank you for your time and effort.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Thanks for the 'thanks', all - much appreciated. It really is a treat to be able to get the insight into the juveniles' lives. As you can tell, no doubt!

• A bit late but I add my thanks JAYDEE  fascinating about cooling down the tracker.......and 7H probably rising on a thermal

• NEWS FROM LAKE DISTRICT

Unfortunately we have not received a signal from 8A since the end of September 2014 but Number 14 continues to have a subdued life on Bioko. We will do updates on both between now and April.

• Thank you Keith.  Good to know that White 14(13)is doing so well.  I wonder whether we will see him returning as a two-year old.  Did you ever see him on Bioko?

• SheilaFE said:

Thank you Keith.  Good to know that White 14(13)is doing so well.  I wonder whether we will see him returning as a two-year old.  Did you ever see him on Bioko?

Well  two years old is the normal return age. Some have even returned as year olds.   See  Ospreys returning as two year olds

• I was looking at that page earlier today, Tiger, when I noticed that most of the birds recorded were only two years old.  I suspect they have always returned at that age, despite folk thinking it was three or four years.  I feel the increase in numbers being recorded is down to the fact that more folk are on the look out for ospreys, and that camera and scope technology has improved such a lot, and perhaps more to the point has become more affordable.