Technical Test Thread 2014/15/16/17/18/19/20

This is a carryon on from the original  Technical Test Thread

I could only link  to the top of that thread as any attempt to link to the bottom results in the dreaded white screen. 

So this is the thread for discussing technical problems. 

• I managed to sign on but we have a few people on the Weekly Chat who are having problems.   One of them can't sign on at all and contacted someone at RSPB for help, but hasn't as yet heard from anyone.  A couple of other people are reporting that the site is very "unfriendly" for those trying to access it on a tablet because there's so much extraneous info on the page, the result being there's very little space left for the actual posts. I am even finding this a bit of a bore with my small laptop.   Personally, I'd also much, much prefer the previous "reply" system whereby all posts are chronological.  On our thread, we tend to use one post to respond to several people.  Under the new system, it seems that if you respond to an individual's post, someone signing on (apparently) has to scroll up to make sure they haven't missed anything.  And let's  not forget the View More bar, which I just clicked and found yet more posts I hadn't seen. Why do we need a View More bar? 

The first time I signed on to the new site, I got a pop up screen asking for feedback, but haven't seen it since.  Does anyone know where it is?   Thanks!

• Annette, I usually use my laptop to post (and completed the survey that way) but occasionally use my iPhone. I sometimes get a prompt on my iPhone to fill in the survey, although I've already done it but that might work? Or, you could try signing out (always risky....especially given what you say in your post) and then sign back in again to see if the survey appears?

• Hi Annette, I think we may all be having a big sigh over this latest update! I use my iPad almost all time and as you have pointed out, with the blurb at the top and bottom of the page, it uses almost a third of the screen, then when you type something and the keyboard pops up, all that is left is a gap in the middle of the screen. The writing is very small, and that is with my new glasses! I was able to sing on okay again just now and did have the survey box, think that will be getting filled in soon! Oh dear. Good luck.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I tried to post a red squirrel photo but it said the size was too big, even though I posted at 100x100 which has worked before. Then I tried to find the post someone left about file size but I can't remember which thread it was on. In the past, I've found these things by looking up my own posts under my profile but even that facility has disappeared. This whole upgrade has been a disaster. And they've not posted the guidelines like they promised. Hhhrrrumppphhhh.

• Don't forget to post problems/gripes/concerns/complaints here, as requested by IT man, JonB.  Apparently that thread is being monitored and will hopefully taken on board at some point, although it would be nice to know they are reading the posts, even if only by liking them!  At least it would acknowledge they had read the posts.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Don't forget to post problems/gripes/concerns/complaints here, as requested by IT man, JonB.

Absolutely right, Sheila. Unfortunately, the link "here" is almost indistinguishable from the rest of the text. People reading this might think you mean on this thread as I initially did. You might want to edit the word so it's clear it's a link eg different font, caps or colour.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• ah yes, good plan TeeJay. I've just posted my photo gripe on the IT man JonB thread which is called 'Community Upgrade is Live' , thanks

And I've just managed to do a posh link in the new system. Wowser!

• Any chance of a 'how to do' for a dumbo on a tablet please Korky! I've yet to sus that aspect out.

• Mmm, never done one on a  tablet Mike. I'm not sure I'd know how to as it requires you to 'copy' a URL for the page you want to link to and I've never done that (nor on my iPhone).  I have a tablet but only use it for iPlayer downloads sorry!