Balgavies Loch Ospreys

Since the osprey threads tend to be here...these are the ospreys nesting at one of our local lochs (nice view of the nest from the hide too!).

• Yes Tiger but they didn't ring the chicks last year because they said it was too difficult and awkward to get access to the nest, so it will be interesting to see what happens this year when there is a spare tag at LotL, do you know for certain that is what they intend to do.   

• MaryGK said:

Yes Tiger but they didn't ring the chicks last year because they said it was too difficult and awkward to get access to the nest, so it will be interesting to see what happens this year when there is a spare tag at LotL, do you know for certain that is what they intend to do.   

No I do not know for certain. I think that SWT have said they will tag a bird but have not given any indication of the identity of that bird or birds. 

• SWT did comment that they would tag at an Alternative SWT Site but never mentioned by name. Maybe they have another alternative site in mind.

The problem with ringinging and tagging at Balgavies in 2012 was it was difficult and was nearly abandoned.

It was mentioned to me on a previous visit this year that this was the reason the three chicks were not ringed last season and that part of the tree is rotten and could topple.

From KatTai's posting that the birds are getting very active on top of the hazzards in accessing this nest it may just be a wee bit too late to access the birds.

I will be at the nest tomorrow on my way north to Aberdeen so will have a look and ask if anyone is around.

• Yeah, the chicks are not far off flying the nest so it may well be too late to tag them.  Hope you catch someone to ask Keith!

• Managed to call in at Balgavies Loch for a few hours between 5 and 7.

Green BF flew in with a fish but proceeded to the dead tree to the right of the nest. He was joined by White UF where both of them remained for some time Green BF eating his favourate portion. Eventually White UF flew on to her nest and shortly afterwards Green BF came on to the nest and left the headless fish. During this time the chicks could see the parents on the dead tree and were calling - maybe at this stage this is an encouragement signal to learn to fly to this tree.

Two chicks on the nest quite feisty and certainly one of them was strongly wing flapping and managed hops around the nest. I left a note in the log book.

Certainly no aerial on any of these and no indication in the log book of any ringing and no one around to ask. I think judging from the hops that no one will be accessing this nest.

I have telephoto pictures of all this activity going on but when I reached my hotel my transfer lead has gone from my camera box - no doubt whilst I was away last my son needed it more than me and never puts anything back - too late to buy one tonight but will get one tomorrow on the way out to Lochter and hopefully post some photographs tomorrow evening of both nests.

• Thanks for the report KEITH Look forward to some pictures

• Thanks for the report Keith!  Looking forward to seeing your photos!  :D

• Green BF on the right hand side with his fish - White UF to his left on the dead tree.

Eventually he took his catch to his babies after he ate his favourite part.

Then went off

Leaving his chicks to eat

Then after supper a bit of exercise - and one feisty strong chick that did raise up a wee bit.

• Visited Balgavies today with my new "special" friend and the chicks are very active!  Mum gave a good fly around the nest as if showing the chicks how it's done and dad arrived with a headless fish...

And this is my special friend who joined us on a trip to the loch!

She's called Dottie the Dalmatian and she is the mascot for the childrens charity Post Pals :D  She sends newsletters out to ill children and their siblings to give them something nice to smile about and hopefully one will be about the ospreys she saw today! :D

• Great photos Keith!  Lovely seeing so up-closer photos of the family, all I can get is distant shots!