First Visit

I made my first visit to Langford Lowfields on Wednesday 20th February and walked the whole perimeter of the site. On what was a very cold and overcast day in the trees and shrubs I managed to see plenty of finches, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Chaffinch and Bullfinch as well as Wren and Treecreeper. On the water were a variety of ducks including Tufted and a solitary Goldeneye as well as a pair of Mute Swans.  A single Grey Heron flew over and on the bank that separates the site from the River Trent I spotted an Egret. There were also large numbers of what I thought were Lapwings roosting on the banks in the pools. A most enjoyable few hours, despite the cold at what promises to be a great site.

• Hi,

Many thanks for posting and for your great photos - I particularly like the 'rush hour' one. Glad you enjoyed your visit to the site. There certainly is plenty of activity around the feeders at the moment and the large flock you saw will have been lapwing - there are around 800 on site.

Keep an eye on our website in the next few months for updates, as we will be opening up the northern end of the site sometime this year, however in the meantime we have a programme of guided walks (dates advertised on our main webpage) if you are interested.

Thanks,

Jenny

Assistant Warden