Starling Sunday

I was entertained this evening by the spectacle of the starling roost in the Phase 1 reedbed. Birds started to arrive in small flocks from 4 pm and there was a large number by 4.15 pm. Most birds flew in from the south but a couple of larger flocks came in from the north. I always think it's difficult to accurately assess the number of birds in a swirling flock but my best estimate is about 5,000 birds. The birds performed over the reedbed until about 4.30 pm, usually in two flocks that were like black clouds swirling in ever changing shapes over the golden reedbed. After 4.30 pm the starlings started to drop down into the centre of the reedbed with them all in by 4.45 pm. There was a constant noisy chatter from the birds perched in the reedbed. A male and female sparrowhawk were buzzing the flock and eventually both were successful in catching a starling - the female flew off with her catch and the male took his to a muddy edge of the reedbed where he plucked the starling, watched by two cautious moorhens.

A bearded tit gave its distinctive 'ping ping' call a couple of times from the depths of the reebed, not revealing itself. Three little egrets flew over and several water rails were calling and one showed along the muddy edge of a block of reeds. Whilst scanning the reedbed edge for water rails I suddenly realised that I was looking at a bittern flying! It flew over Phase 1 and towards one of the lagoons.

I had visited the reserve in the morning as well and met Graham Gamage. There were a few flocks of redwings and fieldfares flying over the reserve and settling in the hedges to feed. On Phase 1 Graham found a jack snipe that came out from the reedbed onto a muddy edge where it fed until disturbed by a moorhen, and we heard a bearded tit calling briefly. Up to four green sandpipers were on the reserve as were a few snipe. Ducks seen were teal, shoveler, gadwall, a single wigeon, mallard and tufted ducks.