Saturday 24th July

I had a morning visit to the reserve with a couple of friends. Two little owls were sat on hay bales by Cottage Lane, Collingham, their usual haunt. A few species are still singing and walking along the public footpath towards the Phase 1 reedbed yellowhammers, whitethroats, chaffinches, reed buntings and reed warblers were heard. A hobby flew over and was seen later on flying over Phase 1. The male marsh harrier was seen soaring distantly to the north of the reserve and the female flew over the reedbed. A turtle dove flew over the reedbed.

I've not seen any little egrets on my last few visits so it was good to see at least four birds today, including one adult still resplendent with plumes. Green sandpipers seemed to be flying up all over the place, probably saw up to four birds several times. Two common snipe flew over Phase 2 and there were three teal there along with 10 gadwall. Up to 10 yellow wagtails were feeding along the muddy margin of a ditch and the group included juveniles. A kingfisher dashed along a ditch in Phase 3 and a buzzard flew over.

Walking back a sparrowhawk was causing havoc amongst a flock of sand martins.