Little owl 4 Barn owl 1

A bit late in posting this, but last Monday (28th June) I decided to have an evening walk on the south side of the reserve. I abandoned my usual walk to the reedbed to check the fields that have been left unfarmed prior to an archaeological dig and then quarrying. These fields are essentially set-aside and have an impressive display of arable plants - and are ideal habitat for quail, except I didn't hear any!

From the cycle track from Cottage Lane, Collingham to the reserve wood, there was a pair of little owls in an old willow tree. In the hedges in the southern part there were singing yellowhammers  and whitethroats, and a kestrel was hovering. I stood in the shelter of a thick hedge overlooking a suitable field for quail (obviously my idea of a suitable field and that of a quail differ!) and any hunting owls. A lesser whitethroat was singing persistently from the cover of the hedge and, as dusk approached, a little owl bounded across in undulating flight. Admitting defeat with quail I walked back along the footpaths and cycle track that skirt the southern boundary of the site. Another little owl was perched atop a dead elm bush, much to the annoyance of a blackbird that was clucking away at it, and then a fox ran across a field.

On the final leg of my walk back, a barn owl was flying over a barley field. Little owl 4 Barn owl 1 - a much more enjoyable scoreline than the one endured at the weekend.

There is always something different to see at Langford Lowfields - go see for yourself.