18 December Sightings

Hi

I am not what you would even call an amateur bird watcher, but of course appreciate birds and nature. In my 40 years I have seen a few birds such as a Black Kite at Hickling in about 2002, numerous Barn Owls and Tawny Owls etc, Reed Walbler, Bittern, March Harrier, Kingfisher, Spotted Woodpecker etc

Yesterday whilst cycling from Cambridge to Si Ives on the Guided Busway I had some great  sightings and thought that I should share with you all.

I saw two seperate green woodpeckers. One in the Oakington barracks  field and another a few miles later. The bright green was an amazing sight as they flew against the white, cold and frosty landscape very close to me.

The high light though was a Peregrine Falcon. This was on a tree on the the RHS (on the same strech as the rabbit holes) raised bank, on the Cambridge side of Swavesy. I cycled along and when I was about 35 feet away it flew behind me - causing me a little fright. I then turned around and cycled back about 50 feet very quietly and got within 25 feet and it flew to the opposite side on the Busway and landed on a post. Both times it flew it looked beautiful. When it was on the post I got within about 15 feet and admired it in greater detail.

I then turned around and carried on my journey, leaving the Peregrine Falcon on the post with the brids eyes looking at me.

A great day for me.

I'm not sure if anyone will be interested but thought it worthwhile to report the sighting.

• Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your sightings - they are certainly of interest!

At least one, and possibly two, peregrines have been seen around the lakes in recent days, paying particular interest to the flocks of wigeon that are accumulating on the river whilst the lakes are frozen. They are a wonderful sight as they flash by chasing some poor unfortunate prey.

When the flooding issues are resolved, we hope that the cycle path alongside the Busway will be used by many people and makes an interesting addition to access around the lakes.

Andy Cotton - Site Manager