Ospreys

Just seen two ospreys over the bay and garden here. Are the officially back?

• Good Afternoon

One of our problems is the web site does not belong to the RSPB and as such at the moment we do not have any control over the site. we are trying to tidy up this problem one way or another.

Paul

• Has there been any word at all about the Wigtown ospreys?

• Good Evening Susan

I am afraid that they have not returned to the camera nest, one has been seen fishing in the bay but as yet we have not been able to establish if it is one of the Wigtown birds or if it is new to the area. I was out on the bay for three hours yesterday without any sighting.

When a bird has been seen we try to ascertain its direction of fight however there has not been any one direction the bird has left the bay.

Speculation has it that it might be a young bird or one of the Wigtown birds that has not established a mate or is not old enough to mate and is living from day to day in the productive area of the Bay.

If you are local Susan. Please if you see Osprey fishing on the bay try and view were it crosses on to land and direction of travel. We might be able to triangulate a roost or nest if we have enough observations.

Paul

• Thanks for your prompt response, Paul. We've moved house and are now closer to Luce Bay than Wigtown Bay, but I certainly haven't seen any over this direction. Hearing the bells toll at the county buildings was always exciting, heading over there to the camera room for first view of the birds at the nest site, then when they laid, then when eggs hatched... it is a tradition that will be missed by many if the Wigtown pair fail to return to that site.

• To true Susan only to true.