visit 21.7.2010

I visited yesterday 21 July on a day trip from London to see my son who was staying in the neighbourhood. I have visted twice before, once in 2008 and once in 2009.  I find the site a delight - no feeling of being on a formal reserve, simply a walk in glorious Suffolk countryside with the bonus for birders of estuarine habitat. I did not I'm afraid make a scientific count and the following is not exhaustive but, on arrival, immediately heard reed bunting calling, a snatch of reed warbler song and saw near the pool ("flash"?) on the left a pair of linnet.  On getting closer I was greeted with the superb sight of 30-40 black tailed godwit, males naturally resplendant in summer plumage, 4 avocet (I thought I detected a juvenile but wasn't looking for any as unfortunately hadn't then read Kieran's blog of 1 July), oyster catcher of course, lapwing, several redshank (a group of which was flying round the site apparently unwilling to land), greylag and many b-headed gull.  Eventually on to the river bank, meadow pipit of course and, on walking a little way south-west, several curlew, 2 -3 little egret, a solitary dunlin, skylark singing much of time. In distance on Orford Ness all the "big" gulls.  All of this in the space of less than an hour and I have probably left some sightings out.  I just love this place and wish I could visit more.  Thank you RSPB for its creation and maintenance.