Kestrels - Life in the Box 2012!

Former Contributor
Former Contributor

We have all waited patiently with fingers crossed to see if our pair of buzzards would settle down and raise a family on our webcam nest  but after a lot of early activity they seem to gone to somewhere else. So not to worry here at Arne we have always got something else up our sleaves and I am sure a lot of you will remember our kestrel family from last year. They had a brilliant 2011 by succesfully raising four healthy chicks including the smallest one that worried a few people early on.

We have decided to put this nest back online now and you can also come and watch it in the visitor centre. The female is sitting on 5 eggs at the moment and this is the same as last year although one failed to hatch. We are not sure when she laid her eggs as she was already sitting on the 5 when we turned the camera back on a week ago. However we think she is  at least 2 weeks earlier than last year and the first chick actually hatched on the 21st May 2011. It is a bit difficult to predict when they will hatch but the female will incubate for about 28. So given this information please feel free to have guesses on dates!

To Watch this webcam online follow the link on our main web page or click here  http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/a/arne/webcam.aspx

Don't be confused by the buzzard information still on the page it will be updated in the next couple of days!

• Hi doggie - I rather suspect that he was!!!  This looks like the young male that I videod a couple of weeks ago - first time I've seen him since that day - got lots of footage, naturally, will be boring you with it of course ha ha!!  Am ordering external hard drive today - 1Tb 'cos I'm getting paranoid about losing all pics & vids, then I'll look into starting a site as you suggested and barracking you for help no doubt!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• My kestrel paid me a visit today after being missing for 3 days!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Wendy just watched your vids properly, they're fab and such good quality. I love the 'hide and seek' one and also the one above, the familiar voice which sadly I'd forgotton over the space of 12 months lol.

• Unknown said:

Good to hear you're getting a back up, i was gutted the other week when my old laptop packed in while i was backing my photos up and i lost quite a few, i only got back what i'd posted on here or on Flickr.

Hope to see you start your own thread soon.

Doggie I'm so sorry to hear this and remember your good advice to me last year, when I lost all my forum pics and vids. I did get them back, it took a while but worth it. Back up is something we don't do every day (well I don't anyway). May be a silly question, but have you kept your hard drive? Surely there is a way of getting them off it even if you have to pay. 

• Unknown said:

Wendy just watched your vids properly, they're fab and such good quality. I love the 'hide and seek' one and also the one above, the familiar voice which sadly I'd forgotton over the space of 12 months lol.

Hi Mims - be glad when we can resurrect this thread for Arne Kestrels 2013 - just waiting to hear from Michael about a webcam!

Thanks for your kind comments - I see you've found my this year's Quarry thread - am on Kestrel watch just now & will update this evening!  My Kestrels have been coming & going quite quietly, usually only get noisy announcements when he is flying in the food to her & babies - 'tis very exciting but am 'siamese-twinned' to my PC now, especially as I'm trying to keep up with Ospreys too!!!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Will anyone get round to changing the 2012 to 2013 in this forum discussion do you think? Even better - start a new one??

• I think it has to be a member of staff to make it "Sticky" at the top of the forum discussion list.

• Apparently they're thinking of replacing the kestrel box this year since it's getting a bit creaky. The adults have been investigating it already however. Buzzard cam may become the main event this time round... who knows?

It's the Kestrel Cam link which is sticky but that's linked to the forum thread somehow.

• It will be a shame if Arne do not feed the Kestrel cam to the forum again this year - I know I expressed an interest in the Buzzards but the views we usually see from the Kestrels box are so clear & interesting!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I have preserved this thread in my favourites D - so many happy memories of you teaching me how to post vids & you tearing your hair out - remember??!! LOL

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr