Schedule 1 Birds..some info for those that didnt know(Me included)

Schedule 1 - Part I

Birds and their young, for which it is an offence to intentionally or recklessly disturb at, on or near an ‘active’ nest. Schedule 1 status also infers a right of arrest by a police officer if someone is suspected of committing certain offences against one of these species.

Avocet
Bee-eater
Bittern
Bittern, little
Bluethroat
Brambling
Bunting, cirl 
Bunting, Lapland 
Bunting, snow 
Buzzard, honey
Capercaillie (Scotland only)
Chough 
Corncrake
Crake, spotted
Crossbills (all species) 
Divers (all species)
Dotterel
Duck, long-tailed
Eagle, golden 
Eagle, white-tailed 
Falcon, gyr 
Fieldfare 
Firecrest 
Garganey
Godwit, black-tailed
Goshawk 
Grebe, black-necked
Grebe, Slavonian
Greenshank
Gull, little
Gull, Mediterranean
Harriers (all species) 
Heron, purple
Hobby 
Hoopoe
Kingfisher
Kite, red
Merlin
Oriole, golden
Osprey
Owl, barn
Owl, snowy
Peregrine
Petrel, Leach's
Phalarope, red-necked
Plover, Kentish
Plover, little ringed
Quail, common
Redstart, black
Redwing
Rosefinch, scarlet
Ruff
Sandpiper, green
Sandpiper, purple
Sandpiper, wood
Scaup
Scoter, common
Scoter, velvet
Serin
Shorelark
Shrike, red-backed
Spoonbill
Stilt, black-winged
Stint, Temminck's
Stone-curlew
Swan, Bewick's
Swan, whooper
Tern, black
Tern, little
Tern, roseate
Tit, bearded
Tit, crested
Treecreeper, short-toed
Warbler, Cetti's
Warbler, Dartford
Warbler, marsh
Warbler, Savi's
Whimbrel
Woodlark
Wryneck

Capturing the Light with an original perspective displayed in every Photograph..perhaps

• Why anyone would grant a licence to deliberately disturb any Schedule 1 species for photographic purposes without a serious conservation or education agenda has always baffled me. And if no disturbance is caused then surely a licence to do so is redundant? Proximity to the nest is obviously a consideration for any sensible observer, but such safe distances are not set out in law as far as I'm aware. Always best to be cautious.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 03/04/2012 20:54 in reply to Dom

good point Aiki

how long is a piece of string when talking about near nests

• Think there was a case of so called responsible bodies getting permission to set up hide near Hen Harriers nest which the birds then left so photographers obviously allowed much too close.

My guess is these things depend on who you are and who you know.

Really good photographer wanted to go to some areas at Radipole not normally in public domain but not where he would disturb anything for charity photos but was refused.Guess what Bill Oddie on T V about the same time and same places.  

• Well I guess Bill Oddie can make a pretty good case for meeting both conservation and educational criteria so I could understand that. The out-of-access areas at Radipole are pretty close to the marsh harrier domain aren't they?

• Think that was before the Marsh Harriers took up residence but the guy refused had as good a credentials as Bill Oddie but had no got the name obviously.He was definitely someone to be trusted not to disturb wildlife.