would love to see 'real' avocets

hello, I'm new to all this... and would like to see avocets for the first time in the flesh.  I live on the Isle of Wight so would need to make a special trip / overnight stay to see the avocets at Arne.  Does anyone have any tips on the best times of day, state of the tide, viewing spots or anything which would up my chances of some great views (with only modest binoculars and camera)?  Passing raptors welcome but it's the coastal birds I'm after!  Thanks.

• I don't want to put you off going to Arne, but if you wanted to see Avocets a bit nearer to home, try a day at Titchfield Haven (near Fareham - an easyish journey from Portsmouth).  They will even lend you some binoculars (the staff, not the avocets!).

• Good chance of seeing hundreds of Avocets at Arne,on the headings at top of here,go to places to visit click on and then click on Arne to get on their blog and ask whatever you want to know.My suggestion would be that every Wednesday starting at 10.00 AM they have a guided free wellies and waders walk,good luck.  

• Hi Elizabeth,

Arne is a great place to see up to 1000 Avocets. The best time to see them is on an incoming or outgoing tide (not low as they are miles out in the harbour and not high as they dissappear off to Brownsea Island lagoon). Here at Arne we have Middlebere channel where they feed. Its a fantastic sight to see them all! I suggest you look up the tide times (Easy tide is a good one) and decide when to visit from that, although if you are here for the day you will definately get to see good views of them at some point. Pop in to the Visitor Centre when you arrive and we can give you a map and point you in the right direction. But also as Sooty suggests our Wednesday walks are a great way to see the Avocet and lots of other birds here at Arne.

• Hi

if you haven't already - I suggest joining the Isle of Wight Ornithological Group for up to date news and field trips

Run by old mates of mine

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box