land for sale?

Every time I drive to Arne I'm reminded to ask about the Land for Sale sign along the left hand side of the  lane next to the reserve.  Bit of a worry who might buy it and what will be put there - does the RSPB have any knowledge about it as I know they work or communicate with the various  other landowners around the area. Also, just wondered how the new 'lagoon' is coming along. Many thanks.

• Not sure about the land for sale (Mark?) but the clay pit quarrying people have now finished landscaping the "lagoon". I have some pictures of the heavy earth-moving equipment replacing the topsoil which I'll post shortly. The lagoon site is off-limits to the public at the moment but I'll be documenting its progress as a volunteer hopefully. Mark tells me it will take 2 years for the water level to rise to its final height.

• Hi Pudweena, the land for sale sign is one of our neighbours selling a small parcel of land. I don't think it is a great worry. The land is protected through SSSI, SPA and Rasmar designations meaning developement is almost impossible (although never say never!). Also the very nature of the land means that it is extremely wet especially in winter when floods regularily (great for waders and wildfowl) which would also curtail any development. It is something that we are aware of and are keeping an eye on.

• Thanks for the reassurance Mark and am so glad the land is wet though I would never trust a developer!  Seems like they get away with all sorts with retrospective planning permission.  Our own Council says that even Green Belt land is not 'sacred' from potential building any more but glad to hear this has all sorts of protection as so precious. Fingers crossed.

• Thanks for the update on the lagoon Dom, nice to hear all progressing well, something else to look forward to at Arne as if it doesn't have so much already - how lucky we are to be so near such a wonderful place.

• Final stage of hard landscaping operations, taken on 14 June:

More images now in the Photos gallery.

• are they going to build any hides near to the lagoon mark?

Capturing the Light with an original perspective displayed in every Photograph..perhaps

• Hi Pete, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you....

Plans are in their infancy at the moment, but they are there.

It will be some years before it has realised its potential as a saline lagoon and bird spectacle. It would be great to develope this as an eventual visitor area but currently is a sensitive part of the reserve with no visitor access....  

We will work towards hopefully one day getting a hide in place.  

Watch this space :)

• thanks for the reply Mark..I will keep my eyes peeled on this space..

Capturing the Light with an original perspective displayed in every Photograph..perhaps