A White-tailed Eagle in flight.

Kaitlyn Clark from Inverness was crowned Junior Nature Photographer of the Year 2021 aged 11. Here Kaitlyn tells us how she started out in photography, what her most memorable opportunities have been and those she would still love to have.

How it all began

I was inspired by my love for nature. The more time I spent around wildlife the more I wanted to capture the natural beauty that surrounds us, my parents both had cameras and one day I asked my dad if I could have a shot and it just took off from there. I learned just through practice and patience. Photography isn’t an easy thing to learn but the more you practice the better you get, also you need a sprinkling of luck.

I enjoy almost anywhere that I can see wildlife, but a few of my favourites are our local forest in Inverness, Lossiemouth, Chanonry point and Mull.

Two Puffins sitting in grass.

Puffins.

Memorable moments

My favourite so far has to be photographing the Goshawk, we sat for 12 hours one day (in almost complete silence) and had no success. Luckily had another attempt and for it to appear after many many hours was a very rewarding experience, I feel very lucky to have been able to see, never mind capture this beautiful raptor.

Overall my favourite animal on our planet is the Red Panda, but my favourite native to Scotland I have photographed might have to be the Pine Marten, they are so full of character and energy with such cute wee faces, my tips to photograph them are to stay aware as they are so fast so be quick when it arrives, take as many photos as possible in the time you have and be very patient.

Two Peregrine Falcons in flight.

Peregrine Falcons in flight.

Future photographic endeavors

I would like to capture more breaching cetaceans but apart from dolphins (which I am lucky to have nearby) they are a rare photo for me to achieve (need to win the lottery and get a boat lol).

To see more of Kaitlyn’s work, head to her family Facebook page here - Scottish Wildlife Photography | Facebook

For members who receive the Wingbeat magazine, look out for an exclusive interview with Kaitlyn featuring her top bird in flight photography tips in your Summer/Autumn edition!

A Tawny Owl in rain, looking towards the camera.

Tawny Owl.

All images were taken by Kaitlyn Clark.