• 8 RSPB innovations that are saving nature

Throughout its 130-year history, the RSPB has developed technology solutions for all sorts of challenges, and we are continuing to champion groundbreaking techniques. When you join the RSPB, your money helps to save nature. Here are eight innovations that are driving our conservation efforts.
  • Photo of the week: Down to DNA

"You think this is impressive? It’s just in our blood” (Photo courtesy of Nature's Home reader, Yvonne Pay)

We’ve somehow reached it already - Autumn. Monday 23rd marked the start of the Autumn Equinox, when day and night are most balanced, and the weather starts to take a turn for the worse. Just about audible over the crunching of leaves underfoot and the slurping of spiced hot beverages of…

• Photo of the week: The cutest crash landing

“A rude awakening” (Photo courtesy of Nature's Home reader, Matthew Parratt)

Seasonal transitions bring an accompaniment of alterations to our wildlife, weather and also, to many of our personal lives. The run up to autumn marks that time of year again when students across the country are venturing to their respective universities; picking up the keys to their new halls of residence and sinking more pints…

• Photo of the week: A little close for comfort

“Think you have it rough! Adder near death experience yesterday” (Photo courtesy of Nature's Home reader, Louise Hawkins)

Here in the UK, we could consider ourselves really rather lucky. Unlike so many other countries, we don’t really have to fear any deadly creatures menacingly taunting us from the shadows with questionable identification, dangling precariously from sheds and outhouses, or lurking under…

• Photo of the week: Can't see the wood for the trees

“Can’t see the wood for the trees…Hang on a second, what’s that?” (Photo courtesy of Nature's Home readers, Ant and Rowena Fryer)

Ambling through woodland is undoubtedly one of the best ways to get lost in nature. The sounds, sights and scents are refreshingly lifting – a perfect route to both get lost in thought or restore the wonders of mindfulness. However, have you ever felt a slight…

• Photo of the week: Target locked

“Preying that mouse doesn’t get away” (Photo courtesy of Nature's Home reader, Stephen Green)

The red kite has sadly had a turbulent past. Throughout the Middle Ages, the species were best known for being litter pickers from above, cleaning the roads of debris. In fact, kites were protected by royal decree – destroying kites would land you with a hefty capital punishment sentence! But, in the 16…

• Photo of the week: Holding nature in your hands

"A helping hand" (Photo courtesy of Nature's Home reader, Lesley Burton-Brown)

It’s been one hell of a month. The Amazon’s been burning for weeks, HS2 is almost underway, it’s raining plastic particles in the Arctic and teenage activist Greta Thunberg is sailing her way to the US to campaign for change. It can be hard to focus on the positives or feel like we’re making an impact when it feels like huge…

• Photo of the Week: Well, what have we here! Mouse or vole?

"Turn it up to 11, I’m ready for my open mic-e night" (Photo courtesy of Nature's Home reader, Mick Taylor)

One little critter has been causing a bit of a stir in the office, and not just because it’s cuter than any button. The UK is home to six different species of mice, four native shrew species and four vole species. While they have distinctive characteristics that set them apart from other mammals…

• Photo of the week: The flavour of nature

Remember when you were a kid and you'd eat Black Jack's and then question with great joy "Has my tongue changed colour?". Well this little bumblebee looks like it's asking the same thing to Trish Lock's camera and, I have to say, I never thought a flower could look so tasty.

"Yummy, yummy in my tummy" (Photo courtesy of Nature's Home reader, Trish Lock)

I should mention, bumblebee…

• Photo of the week: "I don't do fashion, I AM fashion"

"Seaweed hats are all the rage this season!" (Photo courtesy of Nature's Home reader, Mark Sweeney)

From leopard and cheetah to snake print, nature patterns have rippled throughout fashion trends for quite some time. In the words of Alexander McQueen - “there is no better designer than nature.” At one of the largest colonies in the UK, Nature’s Home reader Mark Sweeney captured some of our seabirds experimenting…

• 6 places to see basking sharks in the UK

Learn about basking sharks in the UK and which RSPB reserves to visit the best chance to see these magnificent monsters of the deep.
  • 6 ways you can help save nature

Together we can make a difference by making small changes to our everyday lives. Here at the RSPB we’ve been doing our bit and making positive changes. Here’s six ways you can get involved too and help save nature.
  • Photo of the week: Going infrognito

"Going infrognito" – I know I know, I’m so sorry (Photo courtesy of Nature's Home reader, Emma Sharples)

Another year, another heatwave. With temperatures soaring and the sun blazing once again, all many of us want to do is retreat to the shade and avoid inevitable patchwork sunburn. Much like us in the near-tropical weather, our local wildlife can really struggle underneath the relentless summer…

• Photo of the week: Hanging by a thread

"Hanging by a thread" (Photo courtesy of Nature's Home reader, Michaela Nelson)

In a chaotic world, the intricacies of nature can sometimes get drowned out. Though other species might steal the limelight, the finer details nestled among our wildlife can be just as beautiful – if not even more so. Perched on a web at The Botanical Gardens in Durham, this delicate eight-legged critter sits peacefully between…

• Photo of the week: Yes, I'm gorgeous and I know it!

"Yes, I’m gorgeous and I know it!" (Photo courtesy of Nature's Home reader, Craig Smith)

Often spotted hovering high above road verges, a kestrel in flight is a distinctive image that many of us are familiar with. Nature’s Home reader Craig Smith shares with us this gorgeous poser taken at Brockholes Nature Reserve in Preston, Lancashire – tired from scouring the fields for potential prey but…

• Photo of the Week: Puffin Loving

Puffin picture
    Summer Lovin’ (Photo courtesy of Nature's Home reader, Mike Woolley) 

As the days draw longer and the nights warmer, the UK’s rich sunsets are the perfect setting for evening adventures – with many of us seizing the fleeting opportunity to explore the great outdoors before we’re once again pelted with endless drizzle.

Golden hour is also a fantastic time to saunter with camera in hand and find…

• Photo of the week: Angsty Arctic tern

Mind your head! Incoming tern! This is RSPB Nature's Home Photo of the week: Angsty Arctic tern
  • Eight summer migrants to see – and how to help them

Many of our much-loved UK summer birds make testing long-distance migrations to our shores. These journeys are a real test of endurance for birds – who have to deal with extreme, changeable weather, long sea crossings, persecution and scarce food. Many will not make it. Every year, fewer and fewer of our iconic summer birds – swifts, cuckoos and turtle doves – return to our shores. So what can we do to help our precious…
  • Your guide to wildlife photography

Discover how to get started in wildlife photography, and how to become an expert, with tips and tricks from our Nature’s Home photography columnist Ben Andrew.
  • Photo of the week: A different perspective

This week's photo of the week is picked by our wonderful volunteer Maddy Smith. Look out for more from Maddy in weeks to come.

When we think of a bird’s-eye view, this isn’t exactly what springs to mind!

This handsome chap was snapped while taking a breather from pecking away at his sunflower heart snack. A British garden staple, these charismatic little birds are commonly found across the UK. Thanks to…

• Photo of the week: The adventures of Wilbur the wood mouse

Once upon a time there lived a friendly wood mouse named Wilbur. He dined on seeds, nuts, shoots and funghi. Wilbur found all his favourite foods in Jenny Davis' garden. Jenny liked Wilbur a lot and decided she wanted to remember him forever so photographed his adventures and sent them to us.

Whilst perusing the photos we received this week, Wilbur the wood mouse undoubtedly stole my attention for obvious reasons…

• How to make a wildlife garden: jobs for June

The warm weather has us all enjoying our gardens. While you're out there, it's a great time to make some improvements to help wildlife, too. Here are four easy ways to garden for wildlife this summer.  Take cuttings Want...
  • Photo of the week: What a catch

If you've been following the sports news this week then you'll know that Ben Stokes made an amazing catch in the Cricket World Cup yesterday against South Africa. But Stokes' isn't the only magnificent catcher this week.

Poor mayfly doesn't know what's about to hit him (Photo courtesy of Nature's Home reader Paul Marfell)

This little sparrow has truly earned it's dinner with that catch. Taken…

• UK terns and where to find them

The UK terns are a sumptuous bunch – snow-white angels airing through the sky with effortless wingbeats and long forked tails that give them the colloquial moniker "sea swallows". These long distance migrants visit our shores to stop off, to rest and even to breed. Take a look at the terns that you could see in the UK.
  • Photo of the week: The unsung pollinator

Everyone loves a ladybird, right? I mean, your classic ladybird - red with black spots. But did you know of their pollination power? 

Going about their daily business looking for food, be it aphid or nectar, these minibeasts collect pollen all over their bodies, making them accidental pollination heroes. And looking at this 24-spot, he's been chowing down on some tasty food.

Achooo… it's a bad time to develop hayfever…